Advice need on options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed a corner unit and some cupboards in order to put a fridge there. On doing so Ive found a right old mess. Hopefully the photos are big enough to explain.

I basically need a double socket where ive marked in red.
On the other wall around a corner I have a double socket marked A. a light switch that does nothing marked B. A double socket (not sure if it was a light or a socket, wires still there) marked C. Then a double socket with 2 cutoff cables which I assume were cut and used for socket A. I have a hole in the ceiling above socket A which you can see.

SO I want to lose everything there at the moment and put a double where ive marked. What are my options? for the new socket I assume I could
1. have a spur run From E to F?
2. Run a spur from C to F but that is an internal bend round the corner. is that allowed?
3. Pull back A cables into ceiling, joint new cables and run down the wall then round the corner to F? I dont want to make another hole in ceiling and coving above F.

Then re losing holes/cables
4. I assume I can fill the D hole as the cables are cut.
5. I there a way to tell if C was a switch or a socket? Worse case I would have a double socket there but would rather lose it.
6. B Switch - I take it I cant just fill this? I assume I can't pull cable in ceiling to identify and cut? Can you put a tone on it to identify like you can with phone cables? I can then have cut and fill hole.
7. A Socket I assume this can just be pulled back and joined in ceiling if not required and not using for new socket?

Hope this makes sense. I have close ups of wiring if needed.

kitchen elec.jpg

Sponsored Links
For the new socket add cable(s) from E to F. Whether it's a spur or not depends on whether the circuit is a ring, and if the existing socket E is on the ring or is already a spur.

As for the rest - ideally identity all cables and confirm dead, or if not dead already disconnect them in the ceiling and if joints required make those in a maintenance free box. Then repair/replacter wall and ceiling.
If not possible to locate/disconnect, ensure all wires are terminated / jointed as required and fit blanking plates over the holes.

Myself, I would not take what I could see at face value. I would take out all the existing cables and boxes which you don't need (ABCD).

Then you will be able to see the wood.

Is B actually a light switch, or is it a switched fused connection unit?

I might also be tempted to dig out some of the bonding in that hole and see if there are any connections buried there.

There are a lot of cables in that ceiling void...could there be a pair for each of those accessories?

Are all the cables in the boxes A B C and D white?

Sponsored Links
B is a single switch that doesn’t do anything. Has 1 red yellow an blue wire.

The 2 going into A are white. I reckon they cut those in D and pulled back to become A. You can see where they gave channeled out most of the wall.
I would of thought to lose A I would need to pull the cables up into ceiling and join them there.
It’s the switch and C that I don’t know how to lose.
C is 1 white cable with red, black and earth. Ideally don’t want anything there but worse case would have a double socket. How do I tell if it was a socket or switch?
683036A2-7713-44ED-8B01-CC065EC750C0.jpeg

Was wondering if the switch was actually a light switch or an appliance switch connected to the socket circuit.
It looks as if that switch could have been an additional light switch but you say it does nothing?

As I say, I have never been a fan of leaving disused socket boxes

Me neither that’s why I want to lose what I can. 2 issues
1. Where to run new socket from
2. Can I lose the rest or have to faceplate?

Also if you’re a pro sparky, how much would you charge to do this?

Was looking for advice as well as a quote so I can get an idea of what’s involved. I’ve added photos with references so not sure what’s missing.

Oh well. Perhaps next time I should post what I think to do then i’ll Have all the replies telling me why I’m wrong and can’t do that.

All, regarding the double socket, if im losing the cables into the ceiling, how should they be jointed? (inc any container) I need to order the bits and not sure what. I've seen a couple of methods.

Thanks i cant see how they connect in the image?
I was thinking about those wago connectors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back