advice needed..what is the tool called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, have been considering building a new shed, was gonna use wood but thought i may try brick instead.

never used brick before now. I remember seeing an advert for a red,rectanglaur tool which is surpossed to make it easy.

my question is what is it called? has anyone used one? what advice can you give to someone who never worked with bricks/cement before.

or should i just go back to a wooden design?

Sponsored Links
I think it's called Brickie or Master Brickie or something like that; there have been threads about this gadget on the forum so do a search & you will find.

It's a bit like one of those gadgets you see demonstrated so well at exhibitions but, somehow, they never they seem to perform quiet as well when you get them home with you using them! Basic brick laying is not really difficult as long as you get a few things right, have a bit of practice & are not bothered about how long it takes; if you need this sort of device to do it, get a pro in!

"Bricky"

Professionals sneer at them but if you take your time to get the first row, and the strip foundation, right, it is supposed to be a great help to the inexperienced bricklayer.

bricky, thank you. i have been wracking my brain trying to think of that name...off to do a proper search.

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
I think it's called Brickie or Master Brickie or something like that;
Isn't that what you actually call a bricklayer?! :eek:

soups05 said:
bricky ....
cheers.

IIRC, wasn't this invented by one of your countrymen and he has done quite well out of it?

One of the funniest things I have seen, was a challenge at one of the shows where the guy with the brickie challenged two others to build a wall quicker using line and pins and a level.

The compo was flying everywhere as they raced along. Obviously the brickie won, but both walls were a complete mess and all over the place.

I suppose his next invention will be a rendering tool. lol

Also look at some of the tools at www.spectratools.co.uk . Some intresting looking things for DIYers, but not sure how good in practice.

If you really need a 'brickie' tool - just cut one out of a bit of plywood.

JohnD said:
"Bricky"

Professionals sneer at them but if you take your time to get the first row, and the strip foundation, right, it is supposed to be a great help to the inexperienced bricklayer.

and if you can get the first row right then you can get the rest right without it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back