Advice on having a balance flue gas fire no chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advice. We had a extension built with single skin brick with timber frame cavity wall on the inside for our living room.
Im looking to buy a balanced flue gas fire to go on a outside wall as i dont have a chimney in that room and confused what fire i can have? I dont want to buy the wrong fire for the gas engineer only to tell me its the wrong one.
Question is am i only limited to outset balanced flue gas fire?I wanted something that looks modern and most of the outset fire have a look of the old days gas fire.
Im interested in buying a flavel calibre gas fire but i believe thats a inset fire is there anyway to fit this to a flat wall with no chimney like i have or can i have a false chimney made with 4x2 timber frame with plasterboards? Also i dont want a flueless gas fire as my last house had lots of condensation because of it.

Sponsored Links
Don’t think you can have that Flavel as it doesn’t mention balanced flue option. Have a look at this or change your search criteria

Looks good but isnt that a hole in the wall balanced flue fire, i thought with them fires you cut a hole in the chimney to fit these but i dont have a chimney

Looks good but isnt that a hole in the wall balanced flue fire, i thought with them fires you cut a hole in the chimney to fit these but i dont have a chimney
Starting to make no sense now?
looking to buy a balanced flue gas fire to go on a outside wall as i dont have a chimney in that room and confused what fire i can have?
Did you read the description as attached?

Attachments

• E5724778-7705-45D0-A05C-ED5A885A3D27.jpeg
    E5724778-7705-45D0-A05C-ED5A885A3D27.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Apologies, I must have been looking at the wrong Flavel, as this model is balanced flue and should suit your requirements

Yes thats what im after. So with the flavel calibre fire would i have to make a false chimney to recess the fire into or can I screw this fire directly to a flat brick wall without making a box around the fire?

Reactions: CBW
Yes thats what im after. So with the flavel calibre fire would i have to make a false chimney to recess the fire into or can I screw this fire directly to a flat brick wall without making a box around the fire?

Attachments

• 02B451B0-3EAC-4193-A4A4-FECF10654FD1.jpeg
    02B451B0-3EAC-4193-A4A4-FECF10654FD1.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 44
No to flueless, they are ok to run for 20 mins then you see your patio door steaming up with condensation

So if i get the flavel calibre inset gas fire will i need to board the timber frame with normal plasterboards before constructing a metal frame chimney or does that have to be cement backer boards? And does the chimney i make have to have cement boards or just normal plasterboards around it? See pics, the fire is going in the middle of the timber frame where the insulation is inside the frame and behind that is a single skin brick wall

Attachments

• IMG_20230301_125106.jpg
    IMG_20230301_125106.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 51
I screw this fire directly to a flat brick wall without making a box around the fire?

Yes, or better phrased "can my gas installer?"

Why not get him involved now at the planning stage where he(she?) can advise on hearth requirements, feasibility of extending existing gas supply, size of builders opening required and suchlike essentials?

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back