advice on long LED GU10s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need to source 76mm (or close to this) GU10's in 3000k warm white to fit a fire rated down light. Does anyone know if there's a decent LED bulb available that doesn't cost £20+!?? Don't want Megaman low energy cos I have better things to do that wait 1 min 30 secs for the hallway to reach proper illumination before walking in the front door!!

Sponsored Links
Not sure why you need something that doesn't exist ( long gu10 ). The bulb holder inside the fire case gu10 fitting is not fixed, it's a floating lead so a standard led gu10 type should fit.

No, tried a normal one - there's a ridge/inner lip which prevents the bulb going in any further so has to be the longer version (think 73-77mm will do, have tried a 77 from a friend and fits). Must be 3000k though, don't want anything remotely cool for a hallway. If gonna cost a fortune I'll replace with the old std no fire rated downlights which I still have, rest of house has them anyway - just got the FR ones for a good price (£5 usually £30 odd!)

Surely the lip is just to prent the lamp being pushed up too far inside the case, and to have a barrier so that when the retaining spring is put back the lamp stays true and straight?

Ii the lamp connects via the gu 10 holder and lead then a standard gu10 lamp and thus a led would work?

Unless there was a reason why they only cost a £5..

Sponsored Links
No Chris, asked the supplier, they only take the longer version led or the Megaman bulbs. Units were sealed in boxes, so this is how they are. There isn't a retaining spring/clip - do you mean like the MR16's?

do you mean something like this?

ext-gu10_accent.jpg

http://www.simplyled.co.uk/NxtGen-LED-Bulbs_B2583N.aspx

I have a set of the cool whites in a spotlight, and they're quite good, and (relatively) inexpensive.

I have to say, I installed some of these for a customer the other day (customer bought the lamps) and I was impressed. They were the warm white, and although I am a staunch advocate of Philips Master at the present time, these are very good cheaper alternative, though I would still go for Philips Master if price was not an issue.

I have a set of the cool whites in a spotlight, and they're quite good, and (relatively) inexpensive.

I have to say, I installed some of these for a customer the other day (customer bought the lamps) and I was impressed. They were the warm white, and although I am a staunch advocate of Philips Master at the present time, these are very good cheaper alternative, though I would still go for Philips Master if price was not an issue.

Philips Master all the way. Philips all the way to be honest. Or maybe Osram at a push. Nothing annoys me more than cheap lamps/tubes, it's such a false economy

Philips Master all the way. Philips all the way to be honest. Or maybe Osram at a push. Nothing annoys me more than cheap lamps/tubes, it's such a false economy

I do agree, and I have trialled out some other lamps in that price range and they were terrible, hence why at present I will only specify Philips Master.

But, as I said, the customer bought these and I was impressed for the price, much better than the others I have tested at this price.

That is the problem with the Master range, to do a room with downlights with them you're looking at £100+ with Philips, but like I say, cheap = false economy.

I'm pretty sure the Master LED I posted is the size the OP is after, if he comes back

Only thing is that they may not be suitable for fire rated fittings, due to the lack of ventilation behind the lamp face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back