Advice re outside step lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate some advice from anyone with experience of fitting outdoor lights at ground level. I have had a nightmare with some lights (set on the vertical) into my patio steps. I had a set put in 8 years ago that worked perfectly well for 6 years. The screws began to get too rusted up for me to replace the bulbs, and I had some new lights installed. It's been a disaster. The first set of lights (11 in total), worked for a short time then began tripping my fuse box. I then paid for another set of lights to be installed, and had my entire patio lifted to renew the wiring. The second set of lights have been useless too. Only four out of 11 work. The manufacturer tells me it's water ingress causing the problem, so I have no redress. The lights all have an individual power cable running to each one, so a total of 11 cables running from the house under the patio. This was done during the install of the second set to ensure any problems with specific lights were easily identified.
I am now trying to find someone to help me solve this issue. I had one electrician who said he could do it and he mentioned a product that he would use that helps to make the unit water tight (the faulty lights were IP68, but let water in). He suggested using another make of light, also IP68, but suggested a 'device' to stop water ingress. The trouble is he has taken a full time job and can't now do the job, so I need to find someone who can, but I'd like to know what the 'device' is so that when I get other electricians around to see the job I can suggest they use it. I can't remember much about it, other than it was possibly a sort of brass screw type thing that sat outside the light box and stopped water getting into the unit. It has cost an absolute fortune so far, so I need to get it done as cost effectively as possible, and with a guaranteed successful outcome. I would appreciate any advice as to how to fit the lights to ensure they are as water tight as possible. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer tells me it's water ingress causing the problem, so I have no redress.
Well, that rather depends on who chose the lights, and whether the manufacturer says they are suitable for the use you've put them to, and whether they were installed according to their instructions.

Saying that water ingress into paving lights is why they aren't working and that you have no redress is a bit like BAE Systems saying that the Royal Navy has no redress if a properly operated submarine fills with water.

the faulty lights were IP68, but let water in
IPx8 means that the equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer.

What did they say for your lights?

I would appreciate any advice as to how to fit the lights to ensure they are as water tight as possible.
That is probably the wrong approach.

Lights which are moderately resistant to direct water ingress and have drain holes to let any water out are likely to last far longer than 'sealed' types.

The issue with sealed items is that when the light is on they heat up causing the air pressure inside to increase. As they cool, the air pressure inside reduces, drawing moisture in. This is also the reason that connections buried underground always fill with water eventually. The solution with those is to completely fill the box with sealing compound, something which obviously can't be done with light fittings.

Sponsored Links
The solution with those is to completely fill the box with sealing compound, something which obviously can't be done with light fittings.

Well it obviously couldn't be done in the days when all fittings required lamps to be replaced but I'm not so sure that it would be too hard to manufacture an LED based light fitting which is entirely solid, the only void being the terminal box which could then be resin filled on site....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back