Advice required to fill deadbolt hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have just replaced all the interior door knobs in my house. The old owners had installed deadlocks on all the doors and now I have large holes in the door that need to be filled.

I have attached an image so its easier to understand what I need to fill.

What's the best way to fill these holes. They are approx 12cm deep and about 8cm high.

Should I just use an expandable filler and then some wood filler to finish it off or is there a better way to do this?

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_095303.jpg
    IMG_20200419_095303.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 270
Sponsored Links
One way would be to knock in a slightly tapered piece of timber, and that way you’d get a hold for that bottom screw.
Car body filler (Isopon P38) is great for filling wood, sets in 20 minutes and sands beautifully.
John :)

One way would be to knock in a slightly tapered piece of timber, and that way you’d get a hold for that bottom screw.
Car body filler (Isopon P38) is great for filling wood, sets in 20 minutes and sands beautifully.

I was also thinking of the timber solution exactly for that reason. Never heard of the car body filler solution, ill look that up. Whats the best way to get the filler all the way to the back of the hole?

There’s no real need to....just pack the depths with something reasonably firm and add say 10mm filler over the top. Its not taking any load or stress. Ive seen newspaper used before now, but I’d like to see some sort of fixing for that bottom screw if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
There’s no real need to....just pack the depths with something reasonably firm and add say 10mm filler over the top. Its not taking any load or stress. Ive seen newspaper used before now, but I’d like to see some sort of fixing for that bottom screw if at all possible.

I've just found some 15mm strip wood that I can get my hands on, I should be able to cut that into shape and fill the hole with some filler on top to give me the ability to screw in the bottom screw.

Just thought I'd update this thread on what I did.

I brought 15mm strip wood and cut it to lengths to fill the hole, then put Ronseal Wood Filler over the top to fill the gaps. It allowed me to put all the screws in and make it fairly secure.

It's turned out pretty decent!

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_143613.jpg
    IMG_20200504_143613.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 245

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back