Alarm cables crossing mains supply cable - shielding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To get all my alarm cables to the control panel (Texecom Prem Elite), I need them cross the mains supply to the eletric meter, at 90 degrees. (The feed to the meter comes out of the floor up against an internal garage wall. If I go above the meter, I'll be close and parallel to more mains. If I go low to the ground under the meter, I'll only have to cross the mains once in close proximity but it'll be away from the CU and everything else.)

What's the best way of reducing any likely interferance/ EMI in the 8-core unshielded cables? Should run them them in metal conduit near the area, or will that potentially cause more issues than using plastic conduit?

Sponsored Links
Interference for cables running perpendicular to each other will be limited to capacitive coupling. Earthed shielding or separation are the two ways to combat this if it's of concern, but it won't be, so don't worry. The only thing you may want to be aware of is the separation distances specified in BS7671 for LV and signal cables.

Sponsored Links
To be blunt...

If the alarm panel is going to be "confused" or damaged by the interference the cables might pick up from being in close proximity to LV ( 230 volt ) cabling then the designer of that alarm panel has not done his ( or her ) job to a good standard.

I always try to be safe not sorry, seen funny things happen many times over the years, even back to the Exec 1000 days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back