alarm call for all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm trying to decide on what wired house alarm to buy with 5-6 PIRs and also covering two doors. Do people find windows benefit from being included?
What are the options for including outhouses if wires could be rigged up effectively?
I'm a bit worried about being out at work and the alarm going off all day, so are there any brands to avoid? From your experience, I'm reading a lot of oh i dont touch brand X but how do they know if they've never used it?

thanks for all and any help that comes my way :D

Sponsored Links
Invariably the person saying "oh i dont touch brand X" is an alarm engineer of long standing, quite a few of us here.

Loads to choose from, everyone has their own favourites.

Anything that's EN 50131 Grade 2 will be fine. Grade 3 is overkill for most domesic installs.

Use dual technology detectors (dualtec) in outbuildings - they're much more tolerent of spiders and mice. A pet-friendly dualtec would be even better.

Don't worry about the alarm "going off all day". The bell should be programmed to stop after 15 minutes. You can also program the number of rearms (no more than 3). If you're really worried about the alarm going off, don't connect the bell up for the first couple of weeks and then, when you're confident, connect it. However, remember that an alarm without a bell is as useful as a watchdog without a bark! :)

Sponsored Links
have you decided how much to spend?

you'll be installing yourself, I gather?

have you allowed for a system that will phone you and other local keyholders in the event of an alarm?

If the siren goes off, your neighbours will probably ignore it, except they will complain about the noise nuisance.

Some people say it is an advantage to have a extra siren inside the house (but out of reach) as it will upset intruders. It will also wake you up if you are asleep. A sound bomb may not be loud enough.

You can look up the EN50131 series grading system if you like. Your insurers may specify what sort of alarm system you have, who it it installed by and how it is maintained, or they might not care. They might give a small discount off the premium, but this may be on the condition that they will not pay out on a claim if the alarm had not been set, which might be a risk you do not wish to take. The grading system itself is no guarantee that the alarm is any good or is suitable for you, or that the installation has been well-designed.

If you are a person who might be thought to have large amounts of gold jewelry at home on the eve of a family wedding, for example, then you will be at much greater risk of professional and determined attack.

Some of the old hands that Europlex mentions are not mentally attuned to the concept of the low-cost, simple, DIY installation.

As know it all, clever dick above knows nothing about the workings of and the grading systems used in the alarm industry, I'll keep quiet and let him feed you useless and pointless information.

Out of here, for now (?)

sadly, tataylor1, you will find people on this forum who are bitterly opposed to the idea of simple, low-cost, DIY alarm installation. Luckily there are few of them.

Should there be any factual inaccuracies in what I have said, you can be sure they will be pointed out.

<listens attentively>

Ok, DiY, is GRADE 1. Do it yourself. NO Pro install here.

Grade 3.
Small example, a Pro, if using a single wrong piece of equipment, like a wrong Junction Box for example, makes this Grade 3 fall back to being a Grade 2

AGAIN, just to get the message through, ALL DIY SYSTEMS ARE GRADE 1.
It matters not what equipment you use IT IS GRADE 1.

GRADE 1 = DiY

DiY IS GRADE ONE.

But surely as long as the system is installed using grade 3 components, and in compliance with all the regs, it's just as secure wether it's installed by a DIYer or a pro?

For the OP, I like using texecom equipment. It's nice and simple for a diyer to install, it comes with full detailed instructions, it's easy to programme, and very reliable stuff.

I've fitted loads trouble free, and if you get a bit lost installing or programming it, there's lots of people on here who will be able to help you.

But surely as long as the system is installed using grade 3 components, and in compliance with all the regs, it's just as secure wether it's installed by a DIYer or a pro?
I thought you were an experienced alarm engineer, perhaps I was wrong.

Prospective burglars will enter the house and check all the junction boxes and so on and if it appears to be a grade 3 install they will proceed with a slightly less destructive burglary.

Why is a system installed by a DIYer using the same parts, techniques and regulations as a professional installer less secure than the system installed by a pro installer? It's still the same system isn't it?

Why is a system installed by a DIYer using the same parts, techniques and regulations as a professional installer less secure than the system installed by a pro installer? It's still the same system isn't it?
Obviously I was not wrong or you would know the answer to that yourself.

Obviously I was not wrong or you would know the answer to that yourself.

I'm not an alarm fitter. I'm quite offended that you thought I was.

Why don't you answer the question?

Here's another question incase you didn't like the first one.

A customer who's just moved into a new business premises, and require a grade 3 alarm for their insurance have asked you to come and look at the alarm that's already fitted into the building to confirm it's a grade 3 system.

Everything is installed to the regs, and using all the apropriate parts for a grade 3 system, but you have no idea who originally installed the system.

Do you

a) Rip the system out and start again incase it was a DIY install
b) Tell the customer that their system is only grade 1 as it might be a DIY install, and that they can't have their insurance cover.
c) Check the system over, and if all's well then tell them that they have a grade 3 alarm system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back