Alarm Won't Shut Up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

I've inherited an alarm in my new house and it keeps going off in the middle of the night and waking up the neighbours. I don't even turn it on anymore and yet every now and then if just goes off. I've dismantled it now to keep the peace but does anyone have any experience/suggestions other thasn buy a new one? (which might be inevitable) :mad:

Sponsored Links
First step would be to give us a make / model and what code is displayed on panel during alarm (if any)

There doesn't seem to be a number on the panel, it's just a standard alrm by Yale.. wireless though!

Sponsored Links
Well mine isn't :rolleyes: it is an oldish model... I might have to just suck it up and loosen the purse strings

it's just a standard alrm by Yale.. wireless though!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I thought drgl said Yale alarms were the nuts when it comes to reliable alarm systems...

See this similar thread for advice.

Please show me where i said they were the nuts? I said i have fitted 4 for friends and none have given any problems. So one gives grief and they are all crap? Plenty of wired alarms seem to constantly go off around here, i suppose from that you would deduce they are crap too? To the OP, if it is anything like the ones i have fitted then the LCD display will tell you what sensor/zone caused the alarm?

I think it must just be a dodgy one.. I have i sorted now thanks for your help.. I've got a new alarm! :cry:

Why do you bother with an alarm at all ?

All it seems that alarms achieve is p off the nighbours when it goes off with the reaction of "ah that dam siren, someone pleas switch it off" nobody ever thinks oh I'd better take a look to make sure the house isn't being burgled.

Last time my alarm went off at home, two different neighbours came round to check that all was well.

I was working near by, and was pleasantly suprised to be met by them when I got home saying we've had a look round and all looks OK.
My alarm texts my phone (I know breezer thinks it's a pointless gimick, but we are all entitled to our own opinion ;) ), so I was able to nip home pronto.

So an alarm clearly wasn't a waste of time.

If you have a cak system that does false alarm all the time, then it will fall victim to the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

I think mine has false alarmed once since I installed it about 4 years ago.

It's nice when people actually care like that, unfortunately I think you're right about boy who cried wolf syndrome and I might as well not of bothered with a new one.. oh well I'll learn. :LOL: My neighbours will probably assume it's playing up if i'm ever burgled... maybe I should have just left the old one on unconnected just to scare prospective thieves away!!!

In response to the OPs problem.
I have had one similar case where an Yale alarm would activate in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.
The control panel showed a door contact tamper fault.
I have no idea why the alarm chose to activate at night and not show the problem all the time but thats what it did.
The problem was solved by replacing the door contact.
The house was a disaster though with electricity being overused to a ridiculous degree. I counted eight devices from a single outlet. There was a voltage drop around the house when the washing machine went through various cycles.
The door with the contact on also was stiff in the frame requiring the door to be slammed the last bit. That surely didn't help.
Anyway despite all those problems around the house the alarm has worked faultlessly ever since.
One door contact fail in nearly 300 fitted aint so bad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back