All the New Houses - Who Is Buying Them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

Went to Harrogate yesterday, one of our most beautiful towns, for the first time in perhaps two years. Like many towns there is much house building underway. Sadly, in Harrogate, the building was on the outskirts, on what was, the last time I visited, farm fields. There were hundreds of new houses completed, and countless more still under construction.

A lot of these new houses were already occupied, and it made me wonder where the occupiers had come from so suddenly. There might have been 1,000 people in these houses. Two years ago when the area was fields, I didn't see 1,000 people in the fields waiting to be housed; nor did I see the 1,000 loitering around the town.

So where have they all come from? And it's not just Harrogate, it's all over the country. That's many thousands.

Sponsored Links
Went to Harrogate yesterday, one of our most beautiful towns, for the first time in perhaps two years. Like many towns there is much house building underway. Sadly, in Harrogate, the building was on the outskirts, on what was, the last time I visited, farm fields. There were hundreds of new houses completed, and countless more still under construction.

A lot of these new houses were already occupied, and it made me wonder where the occupiers had come from so suddenly. There might have been 1,000 people in these houses. Two years ago when the area was fields, I didn't see 1,000 people in the fields waiting to be housed; nor did I see the 1,000 loitering around the town.

So where have they all come from? And it's not just Harrogate, it's all over the country. That's many thousands.
Do you live in a house?

Sponsored Links
People are living longer, so few people inherit parents homes now until long after they are parents themselves. Also, fewer people live in houses, people are less likely to downsize now, rarely are there multigenerational homes. In 1-2 generations we've changed the way we use houses.

Believe it or not, the penniless refugees coming over on inflatable boats are not buying houses for half a million quid.

Many thousands of people locked into renting as they cannot afford to buy where they want to live sign up for the new builds. Rent vs mortgage costs are similar, although, rent is wasted money.

They do however need somewhere to live...

We've lost around 200,000 EU nationals since 2016, so immigration can't be the cause.

It really is British people kicking their kids out and not wanting to live with elderly parents.

We've lost around 200,000 EU nationals since 2016, so immigration can't be the cause.

It really is British people kicking their kids out and not wanting to live with elderly parents.

Quite clearly, that 200,000 doesn't include the 5.3 million who were granted settled status in the UK?

It takes all types.........

5.3 million? and JP blames the housing crisis on a kid leaving home. FFS you couldn't make it up. Well, obviously he did.

Well, I might.
The stock market isn't likely to give the returns it has done - about 60% over the last 2 years. I've been out of that apart from bits, since about xmas - just as well. Simply owning property isn't effort free though and you have to buy right, and it's reckoned to be peaking soon. The one I have empty has gone up more in the last 6 months than it would have earned in rent, or in the bank, and no hassle. It's not near me so I could have a weekend away, but I cba...

Well, I might.
The stock market isn't likely to give the returns it has done - about 60% over the last 2 years. I've been out of that apart from bits, since about xmas - just as well. Simply owning property isn't effort free though and you have to buy right, and it's reckoned to be peaking soon. The one I have empty has gone up more in the last 6 months than it would have earned in rent, or in the bank, and no hassle. It's not near me so I could have a weekend away, but I cba...

Is there anything you wouldn't do for money?

Well, I might.

And it's Christmas, not xmas.

Sponsored Links
Back