All the New Houses - Who Is Buying Them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
At least the building regs ensure single garages on new builds are large enough to accommodate a modern average sized family car. Oh wait ...

Sponsored Links
our problem , is the amount of new build, and the property prices , which put up all the old stock and so only the wealthy can afford, none of the locals who have been here all their life can afford to buy now in the area, even though they have jobs locally. I know of 5 youngsters 25-40 who have had to move away in the last year

Quite clearly, that 200,000 doesn't include the 5.3 million who were granted settled status in the UK?

5.3 million? and JP blames the housing crisis on a kid leaving home. FFS you couldn't make it up. Well, obviously he did.

Quite clearly, the 5.3 million people living in the UK already have a home to live in.
Quite clearly, the 200,000 that left vacated their homes.
Quite clearly, you haven't thought about this very much.

Why are they building houses, after 200,000 immigrants left the country? Hmmmm....

How many people here live in multi-generational homes? As in, at least 3 generations permanently under one roof?
Come on, hands up. Anyone?

A few years ago I bought a 4 bedroom home that was being lived in by a single elderly lady for the last 40 years. This is happening all over the country.

Before believing the far right press, try reading UK social science.

The other problem is that the government used to build houses for people, but then it decided the private sector should take the strain. The private sector decided it was better to just invest in the housing shortage - create demand, make more money.

Before believing the far right press, try reading UK business and economics.

We used to build houses. Then we pretty much stopped. Now there is a problem. Let's blame the immigrants, that we just voted to ban ...

Sponsored Links
Quite clearly, the 5.3 million people living in the UK already have a home to live in.
Quite clearly, the 200,000 that left vacated their homes.
Quite clearly, you haven't thought about this very much.

Why are they building houses, after 200,000 immigrants left the country? Hmmmm....

How many people here live in multi-generational homes? As in, at least 3 generations permanently under one roof?
Come on, hands up. Anyone?

A few years ago I bought a 4 bedroom home that was being lived in by a single elderly lady for the last 40 years. This is happening all over the country.

Before believing the far right press, try reading UK social science.

The other problem is that the government used to build houses for people, but then it decided the private sector should take the strain. The private sector decided it was better to just invest in the housing shortage - create demand, make more money.

Before believing the far right press, try reading UK business and economics.

We used to build houses. Then we pretty much stopped. Now there is a problem. Let's blame the immigrants, that we just voted to ban ...

You're not making sense. How can you claim immigration hasn't put a strain on housing stock because 200,000 have left since 2016, completely discounting the over 5 million immigrants who haven't left?
And BTW I'm not suggesting for a moment they should leave, simply that numbers like the above will put a strain on housing stock.

You're not making sense. How can you claim immigration hasn't put a strain on housing stock because 200,000 have left since 2016, completely discounting the over 5 million immigrants who haven't left?
And BTW I'm not suggesting for a moment they should leave, simply that numbers like the above will put a strain on housing stock.
Of course even 1 additional person coming into the UK to live has an impact on resources and things like housing. However we can't or shouldn't lose sight of the fact much of the UKs issues are more related to years/decades of poor strategic planning. Housing, or the lack of, is just one example. Year in year out we hear politicians and experts say 'we need to build x new houses per year' and 'we are committed to building x new houses per year' and year on year they fail to hit their targets.

Pathetic.

yep, and because of the commuter link , thats why hes looking and can afford, however, my point was its the buy to let / cash thats is hes main competition , as a first time buyer... and so these are the people who are buying
Last property 4 offers , his, 2 buy to let and 1 cash

the pandemic has created a significant drive for people to move out of central London to more rural locations - they have huge amounts of equity

and in general central London has become a magnet for laundered Chines and Russian money

the shortage of housing and it’s stupid price is due to 40 decades of neoliberal policies you voted for.

Did you vote for Thatcher….you know the one who flogged billions of council houses….and here you are whinging about a housing crisis.

Of course even 1 additional person coming into the UK to live has an impact on resources and things like housing. However we can't or shouldn't lose sight of the fact much of the UKs issues are more related to years/decades of poor strategic planning. Housing, or the lack of, is just one example. Year in year out we hear politicians and experts say 'we need to build x new houses per year' and 'we are committed to building x new houses per year' and year on year they fail to hit their targets.

Pathetic.

The politicians have nay clue about the building industry . They think cheap unskilled labour can provide the homes needed. I feel for anyone buying a brand new property.. with very little exception these properties are not worth half of what they are on the market for.....

This housing crisis must have some thing to do with

Brexit :idea:

and

The Russians who have infiltrated district councils / and the relevant
Government departments :idea:

I suspect that our council has been infiltrated ;)

Pathetic.

Can't disagree with any of that. Possibly a bit more to it than strategic planning though. There's a need to release more green belt land and relax planning laws, trouble is the 'already haves' tend to revolt whenever it's suggested.

the shortage of housing and it’s stupid price is due to 40 decades of neoliberal policies you voted for.

Did you vote for Thatcher….you know the one who flogged billions of council houses….and here you are whinging about a housing crisis.

Er, no, I didn't vote for the fine woman, and the number of council houses build didn't run to 'billions' let alone the number sold.
The number sold I believe is somewhere around the 2.5 million mark but here's the thing, that hasn't created a housing shortage, the houses are still there, and where the original buyers have died and their children have inherited them, it's created wealth allowing the next generation to buy property, the right to buy is surely a good thing.
There is a shortage of houses because not enough are being built.

Did you vote for Thatcher….you know the one who flogged billions of council houses….and here you are whinging about a housing crisis
While selling discounted being fully aware that there would be a big increase in private land lords. However I suspect they did have a problem of sorts. For one, the council did the maintenance and for another increasing rent isn't good for votes. Having grown up next to a large council estate a typical occupier thought people like my father who bought a brand new property were nuts as a more expensive option. Not so well built too.

The politicians have nay clue about the building industry . They think cheap unskilled labour can provide the homes needed. I feel for anyone buying a brand new property.. with very little exception these properties are not worth half of what they are on the market for.....
I'd be inclined to agree on build costs but land prices have escalated as well. Things around here have moved on. A load of spaced ex council properties bought up, knocked down and filled with matchbox houses and flats. A rabbit warren with space left for one fairly large Aldi. The once established living accommodation sizes appear to have been dropped.

All property up for sale - lots get bought to rent no matter what the price is ;) up to a point anyway. It's still a good area to put money into.

Sponsored Links
Back