Almost 40 years today.

Info

Attachments

• 20230825_020028.jpg
    20230825_020028.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Quite the contrary thatcher built up the coal reserves gave the police a pay rise and forced the num into a strike at the worst time for them. I know coppers who still vote conservative because of that pay rise. Thatch didn’t care about the mining communities she wanted to bring scargill down

Blup

the NUM had already brought a Conservative govt down

Ive always thought it was more of a power struggle than a simple strike.

I personally think the Miners strike was a defining point in history.

At the start of the industrial revolution, workers were exploited
Slowly workers gained rights
Between 1945 and 1970s Unions grew in power
by the Mid 70s the Union bound industries of mining, print, British Airways, Car manufacture reached their peak.

Thatcher broke the cycle and from 1980 to 2023 we’ve seen a constant weakening of Unions, workers rights and an ever increasing level of inequality

We are now at the cusp of a turning point

Today, the 31st of August 2023 is the last day members of the public can put in an objection to the Governments instruction to the train companies to begin closing all their ticket offices.

Before any one goes down the RMT are a shower of ****e route do try to understand that fully automated railway stations are not appealing to people who struggle to figure out all the different fare rates whilst standing in front of an automated ticket machine, with the pressure of a grumbling queue behind them and the thought that the £100 fine for over staying the 20 minutes allowed in the station car parking bay.

I think its not conducive to tourists who are trying to spend their money in our country, money this country needs.

What sort of a country do we want to be living in.

If nothing else contact your local MP and explain your concern.

He probably has a secretary to organise his travel arrangements so could be excused for not understanding how difficult it will be for a lot of the people who the Government are trying to get onto the railways.
Rishi wants a strike to create clear blue water between him and starmy, he's not cottoned on yet that labour will support or at best be ambivalent about automation.

Blup

Sponsored Links
the NUM had already brought a Conservative govt down

Ive always thought it was more of a power struggle than a simple strike.

Heath pi**ed off the electorate because he couldn't sort out the strikes, the public voted liberal as a protest, and it took a second election for labour to form a government. Thatcher targeted the num, scargill correctly foresaw the decimation of the coal industry.

Blup

Heath pi**ed off the electorate because he couldn't sort out the strikes, the public voted liberal as a protest, and it took a second election for labour to form a government. Thatcher targeted the num, scargill correctly foresaw the decimation of the coal industry.

Blup
Thatcher did a two year long re-organistion of the police forces in order to be able to call on sufficent police when and where they were needed.

I personally think the Miners strike was a defining point in history.

At the start of the industrial revolution, workers were exploited
Slowly workers gained rights
Between 1945 and 1970s Unions grew in power
by the Mid 70s the Union bound industries of mining, print, British Airways, Car manufacture reached their peak.

Thatcher broke the cycle and from 1980 to 2023 we’ve seen a constant weakening of Unions, workers rights and an ever increasing level of inequality

We are now at the cusp of a turning point
What'll you do when AI comes for your job?
Talk to the machine.

Before my Dad retired he worked in manufacturing (furniture) all his life. Wagons going up to Yorkshire (from here, Derbyshire/Notts. border) would still get heckled by blokes shouting "f*ck off, SCAB", and this was in the late 2000s.

I think all of Derbyshire's mines had closed by 1993 -- loads went in 1984, and another load went between 1988 and 1993. Totally unsuccessful here.

Sponsored Links
Back