Alternative meats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So vegetarians, please scroll on by.

We've all had the usual Chicken, Beef, lamb, etc.

But does anyone eat other meats?

I discovered Ostritch steaks in Tesco's last week and they tasted great. No fat on them whatsoever and it went very well with my chips.

Hows about you?

Sponsored Links
Goat is supposed to be very nice, like lamb but without the fat. Not tried it yet as it's only available at poncy farmers shops and the like and costs the earth of course.

Sponsored Links
Yeah goat curry is meant to be great.

My wife had Hamster in Ghana once.

I had polenta uccelli in an Italian mountain restaurant one Sunday. Our waiter in the hotel we were living in, worked at the mountain restaurant at the weekend, and suggested we drove up there. They were quite tasty.

Had ostrich about 40 years ago in Oudtshoorn. Apparently it was the ostrich capital of South Africa. Rode one while I was there too! Everything in the gift shop was ostrich related and a bit gruesome. Stuffed ostrich chicks in half an eggshell, an ostriches foot on a wooden plaque shaped like South Africa with the toe marking Oudtshoorn on the map….

I've had curried goat a few times from the Caribbean foodstalls in Green Street and Rathbone markets.

We occasionally have wood pigeon breasts, venison steaks and Guinea fowl from Sainsbury’s and I regularly have pheasant casserole in the winter which I get from the local shoot and hang in the garage for up to a week before butchering.

Last edited:
Obviously going back to before I was veggie...

Calf's brains.
Pig's lobbocks.
Snake.
Ostrich.
Rabbit.
Kangaroo.
Horse.
Goat.
Deer.
Frog.
Pigeon.

Had a curry in Kuching in 1981 which my Dad said was dog...

Obviously going back to before I was veggie...

Calf's brains.
Pig's lobbocks.
Snake.
Ostrich.
Rabbit.
Kangaroo.
Horse.
Goat.
Deer.
Frog.
Pigeon.

Had a curry in Kuching in 1981 which my Dad said was dog...
Some things on there have jogged my memory. I’ve also had frogs, snails and pigs trotters. Oh, and I’ve also tried eating andouillette when I was in France once. I wouldn’t recommend it!

I'm sure that for a few years in the mid 1990s, some of the big supermarkets sold exotic meats, like Crocodile, Ostrich, Kangaroo and maybe also Zebra. And then suddenly they stopped - before I got round to trying them :(. More recently I've had Ostrich a few times from Aldi and that was yummy.

Sponsored Links
Back