Alternative meats

I'm not one for trying outlandish foods then bragging about it so I won't be eating dogs, snakes or force-fed goose livers but....

I had an ostrich burger once, it's nothing special.

I used to eat rabbit a lot when it was more freely available - I remember it being in Sainsburys. It's OK but again nothing special.

Pheasant, partridge, pigeon, guinea fowl - all much the same, quite fiddly to prepare and eat, not much on them.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get any of the above, but whenever I see a country pub with hare on the menu I have to stop, it is delicious when done right.

I've had snails once, they were good!

Venison is beautiful and becoming more common in the mainstream. Much cheaper in Scotland than England. Roe deer is a variant often on the menu in Scotland.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't go out of my way to get any of the above, but whenever I see a country pub with hare on the menu I have to stop, it is delicious when done right.
When we go on the shoots, we often see hares dashing across the fields. I asked someone whether they taste the same as rabbit. He said he tried one once and was like eating a cat!

Several of the above
Fox is OK.
Wild Boar (Sanglier) is good.
Wart hog is much the same.
Buffalo's good
Roast suckling pig - they really are small - is a wow, in Spain.
+1 for goat. Best you can do is eat them, they destroy everything.
Guinea pigs in Ecuador. Don't bother.
Many but not all things in China. Not much meat on a duck's tongue, or foot. Anyone know why they don't eat vervet monkeys?
Snake not vg.
Guinea fowl (Africa) very good if a bit tough.
Russia - mutton, mutton and more mutton. With bitter(self fertilised) cucumbers and courgettes
Iceland - 1000 year old eggs - disgusting, but very strange.
Shark's fin. Again very odd, I could see the attraction but stopped at about 5 grammes.
Ordered venison á la somethingorother in New Z , which came RAW. Sod that. I made them cook it.
Africa -some unusual antelope. Klipspringer maybe. You cook it with a stone. When the stone's tender, it's done.
Gemsbok is fine
Worst is that white sausage you get in Europe. Just fat.
Does beef burger count, from McD's ;)
No, that's not meat.

Oh and of course SQUIRREL

Sponsored Links
Oooh, Matron!

I forgot. The worst thing I EVER ate was at a friend of Mrs S in Paris, he served eel.

I'm sure he'd just plucked it out of the Seine. It stank of shoite....

Oooh, Matron!

I forgot. The worst thing I EVER ate was at a friend of Mrs S in Paris, he served eel.

I'm sure he'd just plucked it out of the Seine. It stank of shoite....

French are always on about their food, but much of it is either disgusting, heart-stoppingly fatty or both.

I once had langoustine which was quite expensive. Just tasted fishy and had sand in it. Not nice. Went out on a small boat to a Greek island on hols years ago and they did grilled squid. Horrible - just like eating sections of fishy inner tube. I stuck with the Ouzo for lunch.

Had ostrich about 40 years ago in Oudtshoorn. Apparently it was the ostrich capital of South Africa. Rode one while I was there too! Everything in the gift shop was ostrich related and a bit gruesome. Stuffed ostrich chicks in half an eggshell, an ostriches foot on a wooden plaque shaped like South Africa with the toe marking Oudtshoorn on the map….

I've had curried goat a few times from the Caribbean foodstalls in Green Street and Rathbone markets.

We occasionally have wood pigeon breasts, venison steaks and Guinea fowl from Sainsbury’s and I regularly have pheasant casserole in the winter which I get from the local shoot and hang in the garage for up to a week before butchering.

Had Emu before but not been able to touch it since Rod Hull fell off that roof. (Or was he pushed)

I'm looking forward to the time bugs and insects become more readily available.

I'm looking forward to the time bugs and insects become more readily available.

My local Indian has a wide selection in their kitchen for your delectation. Been available for years, but few takers. I'll send you the address if you want.

Table for two, is it? :giggle:

Last edited:
As an Eastender, I’ve grown up eating jellied eels so they hold no fear for me and are a tasty, meaty dish. We've caught and jellied our own on many an occasion. We even had two mahoosive bowls of 'em for the evening guests at our wedding (only spoiled by Mrs Motties sister buying the 'wrong' vinegar - she bought malt instead of NBC :evil:). I'm also partial to stewed eels in liquor - the ones you get in the pie 'n' mash shops but my most delicious eel meal was when I was in Bruges years ago. They served up a speciality - Eels in green sauce. Absolutely delicious.

My local Indian has a wide selection in their kitchen for your delectation. Been available for years, but few takers. I'll send you the address if you want.

Table for two, is it? :giggle:

I've worked in a few.
Maybe I shouldn't have but I had a little peck on a couple

Sponsored Links
Back