Am I allowed to open boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am an electrician.

A regular part of my work is supplying new and existing boilers with electricity and control.

To do this obviously the cover needs to be removed to get access to the connections inside the boiler.

Here's the question. Am I legally allowed to do this being a non gas safe type person, or am I ok as I'm not tinkering with the combustion chamber or any of the gas bits?

Please be gentle. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes and No. ;)

Some boilers the case is the combustion seal.

I wowuld expect an RGI would open and later close a boiler to enable you to make connections.

He would then be able to ensure its gas safe and then test the system works correctly.

Tony

So are you saying I need to employ an RGI every time I require access to the electrical connections inside a boiler?

Sponsored Links
So are you saying I need to employ an RGI every time I require access to the electrical connections inside a boiler?

Technically no, But you need to verify on each specific boiler. Which means you may need to employee an RGI everytime to verify for you.

Wouldnt the RGI be employing you to connect up electrically?

Not really. Here's some recent examples.

Bloke rings me up having drilled through a cable. It was the cable to the room stat. In drilling it it had gone with a bang, tripped the RCD and also blown a fuse inside the boiler.

I can't do that repair without an RGI?

An old lady had a heating system with a wireless programmable roomstat which she found too difficult to use. She wanted a mechanical clock and room stat in it's place which I did. To alter the control wiring to the boiler I also need an RGI here?

Often the boiler is put on the wall with a 3 core flex attatched which the plubmer has used to test the boiler. I then need to remove the control link in the boiler and connect the control up. I also need an RGI for this?

The last person on the planet you'd let near C/Heating control wiring is a Spark.................. :LOL: :LOL:

Lets face it, most Sparks in the UK are stuck trying to wire an intermittent light switch........... :rolleyes:

I've yet to meet a Spark, on any site, that could explain how a 'Y' plan control system works................All that site Sparks are good for is pulling their wire.

I know a lot of so called heating experts like that deltaT2 ;)

RF, the difference occurs when the cover is part of the combustion chamber in which case an RGI is needed. Probably just to check and reassemble it when you have fiunished.

The problem is that you dont seem to be able to identify which those boilers are!

Tony

It is a grey area. Most modern boilers use the outer cover as the incoming air seal into the combustion area....

If you were to replace the cover incorrectly, the boiler would no longer be 'room sealed', but would continue to work as normal. Obviously the risk of fumes (combustion products) leaking out is there.

Ironically, most older boilers enable you to do your wiring connections without disturbing this area.

Most of the RGIs on here have probably done notifiable electrical work (installed a boiler in a kitchen anyone?) without the minimum inspection and testing routine, or being registered with an approved certification body.

But with gas you are more likely to get caught.

So in summary not unless I can be sure that removing the cover won't disturb the CC. I'll have a chat with my plumber as it seems that 90% of homes I work in have one of about 5 boilers, and then I can find out for sure which I can and can not touch for definite. Thanks for the advice anyway chaps. :)

Oh and deltat2, there's plenty of clueless muppets working your trade too, so be a good lad and pop your tar brush away.

So in summary not unless I can be sure that removing the cover won't disturb the CC. I'll have a chat with my plumber as it seems that 90% of homes I work in have one of about 5 boilers, and then I can find out for sure which I can and can not touch for definite. Thanks for the advice anyway chaps. :)

Oh and deltat2, there's plenty of clueless muppets working your trade too, so be a good lad and pop your tar brush away.

Too true auld son, too true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back