Am I allowed to open boilers?

Matt1e, let the boiler be a Baxi 105e (a combination boiler) wired as a Y plan. Go for it. How would you wire the controls and the wiring center.

Sponsored Links
Matt1e, let the boiler be a Baxi 105e (a combination boiler) wired as a Y plan. Go for it. How would you wire the controls and the wiring center.
persuming you are also using said combi to heat a cylinder via a mid position valve, then the same as any other boiler with voltfree switching
via a relay if thats what your getting at
listen, I work in industrial plant control systems, usually bms controlled hvac systems but I sometimes work on other systems too for instance bore hole systems
and today I was at a MOD site repairing the tank wash (a giant car wash)
I'm pretty good at fault finding and repair in control systems, whether its a electrical or mechanical problem so its what I do for a lving,
I think I can manage to find my way around a domestic heating system ta very much,
I have made enough posts on here over the years giving help with domestic heating controls etc anyway so feel free to browse
On the whole though I tend to agree a lot of sparkies struggle as do a lot of plumbers thats why I always advise someone to consult a heating engineer

Matt

Sponsored Links
I didn't see any explanation there mate!!lolE :rolleyes:

you are not looking hard enough, or do you want a diagram or something?
if so you wiill have a long wait as I can't be @rsed, I have done enough diagrams on here in the past (they are still in my album if you want to try to comprehend them)
what would you like an explaination of by the way?

Cat got your tongue Ideal?
Actually I have just read through some of your past posts regarding wiring, so forgive me for not taking you very seriously :LOL:

Matt1e, no relay used. What would you do.

Question is not meant to belittle you, just a challenge. Accept you are a bright fellow and know your 2 way switch from your intermediate, There are guys here who think they are the gods when it comes to what they do. In reality such folk choose to forget their errors and mistakes. I take my hat off to the ones who are indeed clever and gurus when it come to true knowledge used to teach and open doors in the mind. Such people are also timid and undertanding towards their fellow men. Not the first time I have been wrong in my understanding- have learnt plenty from these pages.

There are guys here who think they are the gods when it comes to what they do. In reality such folk choose to forget their errors and mistakes.

Ooooouch!!! I'm cut to the bone with that statement Danny!!!....................... :LOL: :LOL:
The Baxi 105e, good one, you little tinker Danny............ :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting album Matt, have you any other 'paint by numbers' masterpieces??
Just yanking yer chain son, some good stuff there for the hard of thinking.............. ;)

Matt1e, no relay used. What would you do.
Question is not meant to belittle you, just a challenge

I thought it was a trick queston DP
well first thing would be to pull up a manual, like I should have done before I gave a smart@rse answer, then I would have seen that the baxi 105e uses 230v switchng not voltfree :oops:
so yes no relay req ("that'll larn is" as we say around here ;))
so standard y-plan
mains to boiler,
live feed and neutral to wiring centre from terminal 1 & N
switch wire from wiring centre to terminal 2

I could do a paint diagram, Delta likes them :D

Interesting album Matt, have you any other 'paint by numbers' masterpieces??

:LOL: yes paint is truly an awful program to draw with mate, I will have to get a better one installed on this lappy

Matt

Matt, if you did that and timer called for CH or HW to heat the cylinder(remember it will be a full programmer) and the boiler is switched off at the front panel to service or fault find, part of the circuit within the boiler will be live due to the orange wire being 'hot' :eek: Accidental contact will be :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

the switch on the front of the boiler is not there to kill power for you to work on it. Thats why your supposed to fit a fused spur/plug/dp isolator for positive isolation when working on boilers.
Maybe Matt can give you a lesson in safe working practices :LOL:

the switch on the front of the boiler is not there to kill power for you to work on it

Sorry Mickyg, you have lost me there. HOW do you fault a boiler and controls with the power switched off at the isolator. Do you know for a fact that the isolator (which is a two pole isolator) on front of the 105e does not have the contact clearance required for isolation?

Thats why your supposed to fit a fused spur/plug/dp isolator for positive isolation when working on boilers

Same argument here. Positive isolation made but no power at the boiler so what do you do to locate an electrical/ wiring fault? Only safe form of isolation I know is an unswitched socket where the plug is pulled to isolate. It is not the first time nor will it be the last that I will not encounter a spur unit with a switching fault.

the switch on the front of the boiler is not there to kill power for you to work on it

Sorry Mickyg, you have lost me there. HOW do you fault a boiler and controls with the power switched off at the isolator. Do you know for a fact that the isolator (which is a two pole isolator) on front of the 105e does not have the contact clearance required for isolation?

Thats why your supposed to fit a fused spur/plug/dp isolator for positive isolation when working on boilers

Same argument here. Positive isolation made but no power at the boiler so what do you do to locate an electrical/ wiring fault? Only safe form of isolation I know is an unswitched socket where the plug is pulled to isolate. It is not the first time nor will it be the last that I will not encounter a spur unit with a switching fault.

100% agree Danny, un-switch socket & plug is the only way to safely isolate the power supply.
Do you work for BG Micky? Some interesting photos in your album mate.

Perhaps you should confirm that you have a cylinder being heated by your 105e Danny? Wee clue there by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back