Am I allowed to open boilers?

Oh there's no debate mate, just leave us an un-switched 13amp socket within 1M of the boiler & the RGIs will take care of the technical stuff. There'll be flex flying everywhich way, but it'll all work............. :D

Flex is actually a far superior cable type than twin and earth delta so carry on mate ;)

Sponsored Links
Oh there's no debate mate, just leave us an un-switched 13amp socket within 1M of the boiler & the RGIs will take care of the technical stuff. There'll be flex flying everywhich way, but it'll all work............. :D

Flex is actually a far superior cable type than twin and earth delta so carry on mate ;)

The only problem with flex Matt; stranded wire can be a right 'James Hunt' for causing shorts in tight, crammed wiring centres.

Matt bonny lad, why do 'wire-pulling site Sparks' never connect a Neutral to Room Thermostats??

The only problem with flex Matt; stranded wire can be a right 'James Hunt' for causing shorts in tight, crammed wiring centres.

not if you are careful to terminate the cable properly, we use these on flex (they are not a necessary req though)

R5289258-01.jpg

Matt bonny lad, why do 'wire-pulling site Sparks' never connect a Neutral to Room Thermostats??

because its not always req maybe?
that and there are a lot of clueless cretins about :)

Matt

Only safe form of isolation I know is an unswitched socket where the plug is pulled to isolate. It is not the first time nor will it be the last that I will not encounter a spur unit with a switching fault.

100% agree Danny, un-switch socket & plug is the only way to safely isolate the power supply.
Do you work for BG Micky? Some interesting photos in your album mate.

Perhaps you should confirm that you have a cylinder being heated by your 105e Danny? Wee clue there by the way.

Boilers on plugs :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

Perfectly acceptable & the safest way to connect Central Heating control systems.
Unless you can prove otherwise matey??
FCU switched off with fuse out and a padlock through the fuse carrier. You have control then, not some numskull who sees his boiler's unplugged and wants to plug it back in.

Sponsored Links
Only safe form of isolation I know is an unswitched socket where the plug is pulled to isolate. It is not the first time nor will it be the last that I will not encounter a spur unit with a switching fault.

100% agree Danny, un-switch socket & plug is the only way to safely isolate the power supply.
Do you work for BG Micky? Some interesting photos in your album mate.

Perhaps you should confirm that you have a cylinder being heated by your 105e Danny? Wee clue there by the way.

Boilers on plugs :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

Perfectly acceptable & the safest way to connect Central Heating control systems.
Unless you can prove otherwise matey??
FCU switched off with fuse out and a padlock through the fuse carrier. You have control then, not some numskull who sees his boiler's unplugged and wants to plug it back in.

:LOL: :LOL: ..................Yeah right & Cable Trays across the Kitchen ceiling & a 3 Phase supply to the Fridge!! Now you wire-pullers are just getting out of hand!!

You misunderstand. I'm talking about normal FCUs. They usually have a hole in the tray so when you pull them out and lift the fuse away you can put a small padlock through it.

mfarrow, you need to go out with a heating engineer one day. Padlocking the fuse carrier can not happen when some sparks, plumbers, heating engineers and DIYers have been at the equipment. Have seen a 2.5mm T&E terminated on a pcb (cable had dislocated the terminals). Some people think the boiler needs a 13 amp fuse (wonder why)

You misunderstand. I'm talking about normal FCUs. They usually have a hole in the tray so when you pull them out and lift the fuse away you can put a small padlock through it.

Oh I know what you're saying mate & yes I understand why you think a FCU is better, even for that reason alone.

But for complete disconnection & boiler testing 13amp plug top is best. Yes there's a risk of some dafty plugging it in, but there's also a big risk crossing the road.

Oh I know what you're saying mate & yes I understand why you think a FCU is better, even for that reason alone.

But for complete disconnection & boiler testing 13amp plug top is best. Yes there's a risk of some dafty plugging it in, but there's also a big risk crossing the road.

If you are really keen on the plug you can get those plastic covers that go over the plug to stop joe customer putting it back in when having a brainfart.

BG supply them and they are very popular with the lads....... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back