Amazon selling dangerous lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Client asked me to put some of these lights up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buyee®-Industrial-Kitchen-Hanging-Pendant/dp/B00PBW1N80#Ask

Pendant drop is a two core L/N cable with a metal bulb holder.

Looked at the questions and answers, quite interesting!

Our lighting circuit at home is not earthed! I wondered what the ceiling rose on this particular pendant light is made of? it would be suitable?

Thanks for your message.
Yes,it's also suitable for our light.The You can don't need to connect the earth cable.
Hope this can help you
Any question,please just feel free to contact us,we are always here to solve your problem,please rest assured.
Best regards
Tiffany

Hi, can the light be controlled with a dimmer switch?
Answer:
Hi,
Thanks for your message.
Sorry,it can't be controlled with a dimmer switch.

Hi, This came up when I searched for IP44 ceiling lights (for my bathroom). Is this suitable? Thanks for your help.
Answer:
Hi,
Thanks for your message.
Yes,it is suitable to place it in your bathroom.… see more
By Buyee (UK local delivery) on 21 January 2015

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The address is also quite interesting.
  • Customer Services Address:
    • Block 9, Unit 1,
    • Oakbank Industrial Estate
    • Glasgow
    • London
    • G20 7LU
    • GB

No took it apart. no double insulation

So I take it does not have the marking of a square inside a square as shown below, what means the appliance/luminaire is Class II double insulated. Even then, such a marking should it have one is likely false and not genuine.

Double-Insulated.jpg

:mad::rolleyes::eek:

To avoid confusion the questions listed were ones I cut and pasted from the amazon site about these lights!

I posted them because it show an alarming lack of knowledge about the products they sell, and the possible implications of their advice

The address is also quite interesting.
  • Customer Services Address:
    • Block 9, Unit 1,
    • Oakbank Industrial Estate
    • Glasgow
    • London
    • G20 7LU
    • GB
Never mind that - look at the business address:

• Zhenhua Road,
  • No.49 Huaqiang North Street, Futian District
  • Shenzhen
  • Guangdong
  • CN

To avoid confusion the questions listed were ones I cut and pasted from the amazon site about these lights!

I posted them because it show an alarming lack of knowledge about the products they sell, and the possible implications of their advice
And so it will continue for as long as people fail to understand that buying products direct from China, via web sites like Amazon and eBay, can easily kill them.

JohnW2 may be along later to explain why this has to be allowed, and why we must not do anything to try and stop it.

JohnW2 may be along later to explain why this has to be allowed, and why we must not do anything to try and stop it.
Of course we need to do everything we can to stop it - but attempting to put the onus on eBay and Amazon etc. to 'technically vet' every product (including 'one-offs') sold by third parties via listings on their websites is certainly not a remotely realistic way to try to do it.

There are already more than enough laws and regulations relating to the import into the UK of dodgy/ dangerous/ misrepresented/ counterfeit electrical (and other) items from Asia. The appropriate authorities need to be adequately resourced to police that satisfactorily, at the point of attempted import into the UK.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps a statement should be included on the Amazon UK page that purchasers are accepting responsibility for the legal and safety aspects of importing products into the EEA.

Of course we need to do everything we can to stop it - but attempting to put the onus on eBay and Amazon etc. to 'technically vet' every product (including 'one-offs') sold by third parties via listings on their websites is certainly not a remotely realistic way to try to do it.
Told you so.

Maybe you aren't that far from PBC in your willingness to get people killed for ideological reasons after all.

We don't expect shops and market traders to technically vet everything they sell, but we do prosecute them (sometimes) when they are caught selling unsafe/illegal/counterfeit products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back