American Solutions - Combis - Discussion

Americans seem lucky in two ways

America is uniquely blessed, since global climate change does not exist there, and is not caused by human activity, especially fossil fuels, which are regarded as low-cost.

In all other parts of the world, the reverse is true.

Sponsored Links
America is uniquely blessed, since global climate change does not exist there, and is not caused by human activity, especially fossil fuels, which are regarded as low-cost.

In all other parts of the world, the reverse is true.

Perhaps Americans just don't swallow all that guff that even 'experts' can't agree on. Because if we don't pay green taxes and use tree-hugger light bulbs all the polar bears will die. :) Anyone would think that the climate has never changed before in the past. Maybe it was down to dinosaurs using vacuum cleaners with too high a wattage.

Last edited:
Depends on where you are, America's a big country from frozen tundra to baked deserts and all points in between so heating systems are varied too. Local codes determine fluing and concentric is available in some areas. Most are parallel flued many are sited outdoors. You'll find Worcester (as Bosch) Rinnai, Navian Takagi (I think I may still be a trained installer for them though never did), Noritz and ourselves (badged differently) over there and I saw Vaillant in CA but concentrating on solar unsurprisingly. In crowded areas with apartments combis are used. Tankless up to 300,000 btu's but not off 15mm either. Cheap energy means the boilers are sometimes dedicated to snow clearing the drive with underground heating matrixes, that surprised me somewhat.

Depends on where you are, America's a big country from frozen tundra to baked deserts and all points in between so heating systems are varied too. Local codes determine fluing and concentric is available in some areas. Most are parallel flued many are sited outdoors. You'll find Worcester (as Bosch) Rinnai, Navian Takagi (I think I may still be a trained installer for them though never did), Noritz and ourselves (badged differently) over there and I saw Vaillant in CA but concentrating on solar unsurprisingly. In crowded areas with apartments combis are used. Tankless up to 300,000 btu's but not off 15mm either. Cheap energy means the boilers are sometimes dedicated to snow clearing the drive with underground heating matrixes, that surprised me somewhat.

Our friend Transam was using those driveway pumps on so expensive HIU's a while ago.

Sponsored Links
So they won't get a combi will they? :rolleyes:

But hey, let's all fit district heating and HIUs to old buildings all over the western world because some old codger knows better and doesn't like combis (y)

Vaillant are definitely in States, as well as Viessman. Have seen the Viessman Combiplus over there - a box that fits near a heat only boiler with pump, heat ex and flow sensor in it with F and R from boiler. Basically turns a heat only into a combi.

They're starting to really get into combis over there. Particularly ones without all the extra complication like plate heat exchangers/divertor valves etc

IBC's sales are rocketing :D

Just done my 5 yearly. The centre is heavily into Intergas.
They claim that IG claim that they tried to export to the USA. However they USA wanted bigger. MORE HEAT.

Rather than increasing the output, they fitted a bigger case, now sales are booming.

Discuss?

FWIW, I thought about house sizes and bathrooms, but maybe telly only shows the good stuff (and the really bad)

Just done my 5 yearly. The centre is heavily into Intergas.
They claim that IG claim that they tried to export to the USA. However they USA wanted bigger. MORE HEAT.

Rather than increasing the output, they fitted a bigger case, now sales are booming.

Sterling by any chance?? ;)

Yep, thats the IBC unit..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back