Americans and their fixation with easy access to guns?

Sponsored Links
I'm a UK based self employed builder with a wife and family here. I'm not an active US based mouthpiece or anti-gun campaigner.

You also live in an almost exclusively white-British area, and have no intention of ever upping-sticks and living in a "enriched" town or city.
Doesn't stop you extolling its benefits though (y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
hmm.. Well I've never really had it satisfactorily explained to me. The second amendment makes no reference to guns per se . And to paraphrase is the right to bear arms for the purpose of a well regulated militia. ... I can't see how that equates to personal gun ownership?
Back in the day when the second amendment was created the people only had access to single shot muzzle loaders long before the invention of automatic weapons,so the second amendment shouldn't really be relevant.

In the UK we have quite a well-regulated militia, which is allowed to bear arms.

Don' knock it till you have tried it.

Could not agree more, my preference is precision prone,my [our?] hobby and if I can afford it full bore at 600 Yards, but enough of my [our?] sport

OK? Trump got as I recall $4. m towards his campaign from guess you? the NRA. I wonder which side he is now on, possibility he will show his hand some time soon???

Other members of the Congress have received eye watering $ Millions of dollars again from guess who the NR

Trump in one of his executive orders down grades an Obama edict regarding checks on the mental capacity to be trusted to obtain a firearm of any sort.

As an aside the weapon used in the event we are discussing was a Semi-Auto, not a fully Auto weapon, even this Semi can chuck out a load of projectiles in short time with terrifying results.

I have just watched a Chanel 4 early evening news interesting, one of the female survivors put up a very interesting discussion about this matter, she appears to have started with other survivors a movement that may? just may??? take legs and run??

One interesting argument put forward in the interview was a marker in the sand, the discussion ran along the lines of not wanting to remove guns from the general public, but to ensure adequate background checks are implemented, especially around the mental health aspect [ wonder where AND IF Trump fits into that discussion?]

What I am eternally grateful for is that over here even owing an Air Weapon in Scotland requires a License ? what would the NRA say about that?

As an aside, England will soon have a similar Air Weapons Licensing System implemented, which is to have the Police run full background checks before you can own, purchase or own an Air Weapon?

I believe that if America began to operate a broadly similar similar system to the UK as regards Firearms ownership then that would at least be a start.

To be clear, yes I shoot a firearm and an Air Weapon I cannot for the life of me get my head round as to why the Americans have gone overboard on all sorts of easy to obtain weaponry?

Ken

so, once judged mentally sound, always judged mentally sound? Mental health doesn't work that way.

For the benifit of those who, genuiney belive that the removal of all fire arms should be removed from private ownership I will copy and paste the views/opinion of a gent in the USA.

It will be quite a long read.

I had to read it three or four times to do it justice.

Back in the days of Secondary Schools Mr Johnson, our English teacher tried to drill into us pupils the importance of reading all opinions and views about a subject under discusson thoroughly before deriding those whos opinion diffets from yours.

I would very much appriciate it if the gents who have contributed to this thread follow Mr Johnson advice.

I might post it under a separate heading.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Back