Another Brexit cost in the offing

Sponsored Links
If the EU should be foolish enough to impose import duties on UK-made cars like Nissan, then we would, of course, retaliate. This would cause the EU manufacturers (BMW, Mercedes, VW, Renault, Citroën and others) to lose a considerable number of sales. This will cause real unrest, and thus, I foresee post-Brexit, the trading terms will be very similar to now. It is only the idiots like Juncker and Hollande who want to shoot themselves in the foot!
In 2015 approx 57% of cars produced in the UK were sold to the EU. The next biggest market for UK car manufactures was the USA with 10%,
Who do you think will be hurt most?

I know this is sad but on this subject just out of curiosity I have been doing some number crunching on how much it could cost UK if we decide to help car manufacturers.
Here we go, car production in UK 2015 1.5 million. 57% exported to EU which equates to around 855,000.
Current import duty in cars into EU is 10%+. If we say the average car value is say £12k, that means according to my calculations we will have to subside the car industry by around
£1 billion pa.
Thats just for starters, what about all the other industries who will get on the band wagon.

Sponsored Links
It's more than likely that Hollande will lose the next French election, and Merkel has plans to get rid of Junkers next year, so that just leaves Tusk to be dealt with. Merkel knows that sha can't give us an easy ride otherwise other countries will want to leave, but at the same time, if she doesn't make a sensible deal with us, then the EU economy will suffer as much as we do. As the British workers had to go out to Japan to show them how to work more efficiently, Nissan were never going to shut down their UK operations, so they were only sabre rattling in threatening the government, and I suspect the government has offered them very little in the way of support, partially because while were still in the EU, it's illegal to do so.

At the end of the day, we'll fork out a few billion a year to keep the free trade agreement, and everything will go on the same as it has.

It's more than likely that Hollande will lose the next French election, and Merkel has plans to get rid of Junkers next year, so that just leaves Tusk to be dealt with. Merkel knows that sha can't give us an easy ride otherwise other countries will want to leave,
And the people of Europe might vote in heads of state/EU leaders with staunch pro-EU bods and REALLY make life difficult for the UK.

Same as being in the EU then

Sort off, but without the EU regulations and controls of course. The EU isn't going to give up without a fight, and Theresa May - whatever she says - won't be so obstinate to ruin the country. They'll compromise simply because that's what politicians do.

And the people of Europe might vote in heads of state/EU leaders with staunch pro-EU bods and REALLY make life difficult for the UK

Sarkozy will more than likely get in, and he's daft enough to throw up problems but he's no match for Merkel, and in the end, after a lot of shortman syndrome posturing will compromise. It's the Belgium, Poles and the Slovaks that we've got to worry about, so it'll be interesting to see what TM offers them on immigration controls, but I suspect she'll tell them where to go, and threaten to go for a hard Brexit till they back down. If we don't hand over any money in exchange for a free trade deal, then there's less in the EU coffers for them to draw on.

Merkel knows that sha can't give us an easy ride

That's not what it is.

There are cultural differences.

"There's one thing about the German language that if you're British, you never really quite get used to.

It's how to say yes. And how to say no.

An English friend of mine, Jessica, once told me a story which sums up the problem.

When she was at school in London she was about to go on an exchange to stay with a family in Germany, and the teacher sat them all down for a talk.

"Now girls," the teacher explained, "when someone offers you something to eat, and you want it, you say yes, not no."

These well-brought-up young ladies would usually say: "No, I couldn't possibly" to that plate of biscuits the first time round, and wait to be persuaded before giving in with a gentle: "Oh, go on then."

"In Germany," the teacher went on patiently: "No actually means no. You won't get offered again."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37799805

"Last year David Cameron tried to persuade German Chancellor Angela Merkel to let the UK have a special deal to opt out of free movement of people, while staying in the single market.

She said no. And she meant, well, no. Not "no-but-ok-if-you-push-hard-enough-maybe-yes". Just no.

When she said it again before the referendum vote, she meant no. And last week to Theresa May in Brussels, again, the answer no. She doesn't quite know how to make it any clearer.

But in the UK politicians and journalists are still asking the question: what does Merkel really think?"

Interesting viewpoint, but she's more politician than she is German; on the other hand, she is offering crumbs.

She is one of the best chancellors that Germany has ever had, and she didn't get there by being stupid. Yes she's dogmatic in her approach, but at the end of the day, she won't do anything that jeopardises her countries economy. Hollande and Sarkozy will cut off their noses to spite their faces, but Merkel will find a way through the maze, and I suspect that's going to be making us pay to stay in the economic market, but without most of the EU restrictions.

But as they'll try and impose to many restrictions, that's why Theresa May's pushing for a hard Brexit, and putting the EU on the back foot.

We knew the options well before the vote. Unfortunately none of the Quitters would say which one they were voting for. Boris pretended that you could have the benefits of membership without the costs, but I'm sure not even he actually believed it.

Try to get a Quitter to tell you which of the available options they prefer

(he won't)

Mrs May won't tell you what "Brexit" means, but she is travelling towards a Hard exit, with none of the benefits. Doggit still believes you can be half in and that Angela didn't mean what she said.

But Out means Out.

In 2015 approx 57% of cars produced in the UK were sold to the EU

As transam says "who cares?"
We didn't join the eu originally so we could trade our goods for all the dross that sets foot on french soil.
And certainly seems to be little appetite for it now.

]

Sponsored Links
Back