ANPR CCTV camera How does it works ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that I could use ANPR CCTV camera if I want to recognisedthe Plate Number (registration no) of a car on the entrance gate, right ?
My question is:

- How this system wokr actually ?
- How is ANPR camera look like, it is just PTZ dome camera with very high resolution ?
- If I already have a DVR with spare channel on DVR. I have used some channel for normal PTZ dome (non ANPR camera) could I use this spare channel to be connected to ANPR CCTV camera ?

Sponsored Links
ANPR software will work with most cameras other than low defintion web cams and similar if the vehicle is head on to the camera and moving very slowly. Such as in petrol stations for detection of drive offs and other non legal vehicles.

It requires hardware with a frame store to store one static clear picture for the software to process. Best option is a camera with built in frame store and / or electronic shutter if the vehicle is moving.

It is NOT just a case of plugging a camera into a PC and then pointing the camera at the vehicle as if you were filming it. If the vehicle is approaching a gate then the placing of the camera is made difficult by the bars of the gate getting in the way.

How this system wokr actually ?
In simple terms camera takes picture that is then captured as a still image, fed into computer and optical character software reads the image on numberplate.

You now have the plate number in a computer readable form that can be further processed as required. With the police system it can compare the contents of the PNC etc to check for stolen vehicles or DVLA database for road fund, MOT or insurance offences.

You could have a list of acceptable vehicle numbers and automatically open the gates or have a personalised voice welcome message!

It's a bit like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut really for a domestic style property. Good project though.

Sponsored Links
i have seen a couple of places where they use it, a big sign says welcome zzzzzzzzzz where zzzzzzz is your reg number, not the software falling asleep.

the one in Hemel on the main road through an industrial estate has been taken down, i wonder why :LOL:

totaly useless for a drive though, why noy just have a cctv camera, get people walking too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back