Antsy attitudes

PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE

Simple fix for anyone who no longer wants to see my posts on this forum: CLICK.

Given your nature, I will not open a blind link post by you.

Could you please post the full url?

It ads the evangelical know-it-all to your "ignore list". He was already on mine -he's not even a sparky FFS! Boy does he come out with some ******.

Sponsored Links
It ads the evangelical know-it-all to your "ignore list". He was already on mine -he's not even a sparky FFS! Boy does he come out with some ****.

Come on, I'm not the first person to defend BAS as, although I try not to make a big scene about the fact, I often disagree with his methods. However, elitism such as that you've displayed above is exactly the sort of thing this thread is supposed to be discussing, and not displaying. Everyone is welcome here, on this DIY forum, whether they be an electrician or not.

I wouldn't, I can control my temper.
It would be more helpful to understand your position if you had answered the question I asked, "IF you went up to someone and..." not a question I did not ask, e.g. "Would you go up to someone and...".

But if you'd prefer, I'll ask it in a different way.

If person A went up to person B in a pub and hit them because they didn't like them, do you think it would be B's fault if a fight started?

Whilst I don't doubt your acedemic or vocational intelligence, I sometimes think you're idea of interpersonal skill is just on a different wavelength to many others.
My interpersonal skills are just fine, but unfortunately they are not up to dealing with people who think that it's OK to accuse me of criminality when they have no evidence, who think it's OK to say that I'd be better off with 4 lights on 1 or 2 switches than 4 but repeatedly refuse to explain why, who think that it's OK to say I've written something incredibly stupid when I've actually written the same as them, and so on.

I don't think your dogged persevereance is always to your benefit but I wouldn't be surprised if you disagree with me.
For as long as there are people here who think that the interests of the forum are best served by them deliberately choosing to misinterpret my posts by imagining I've written words that I have not, or imagining that they can hear a tone of voice which they don't like, and then proceeding to resurrect the disagreements of their own invention in topic after topic after topic, nothing is going to be to my benefit, is it?

Ah, but can the forum software be set up so newbies get him put on their ignore list automatically when they first register and start to post.

Perhaps you have to post 100 times before you see him? In the meantime the rest of us can share out the forum love and get the poor newbies settled in and liking the place. They will get better advice too, not get scared off, and perhaps even think that sparkies are kind decent tolerent folk and perhaps even put a bit of business their way!

They will still get told to do nothing except notify, but Rome wasn't built in a day........

Sponsored Links
The point I was trying (apparently unsuccessfully) is that he purports to speak with "authority" on a subject he has no training or qualifications in and yet insists we all take his "advice" as "gospel" without question or debate!

As someone else said earlier - some like downlighters, some don't, but BAS is downright fanatical in his loathing for them and can't wait to tell those asking about them just what a bad idea he thinks they are (viz " 2" torches ") - he should be forced to add "in my opinion" after each rant!

This forceful rendition of his "opinion" at every chance is nothing less than evangelical and fanatical and, in my opinion, serves only to demean, belittle, barrack, and upset new posters who come here looking for advice, not a lecture!

I didn't mis-read your question, but i chose to give the answer i did for my reasons. Not wishing to be rude but given everything thats been said so far, I feel there is little point explaining.

Do you ever chill-out?

It's a shame you won't see this, as you won't benefit from the corrections
The point I was trying (apparently unsuccessfully) is that he purports to speak with "authority" on a subject he has no training or qualifications in and yet insists we all take his "advice" as "gospel" without question or debate!
Firstly, do you have any evidence that I have no training or qualifications? Or are you in that wonderfully rational and mature group of people who don't think that allegations need to be evidence based?

Secondly, I don't insist that anybody takes my advice as gospel without question or debate, and were you to try and find evidence that I did you would fail.

Thirdly, if what I say is genuinely wrong then it can be countered in a factual way. But to claim that everything I say must be wrong because I'm not an electrician is an ad hominem fallacy.

Anyway - the real reason I replied to you is in the increasingly forlorn hope that people who still don't get it, like mikhailfaradayski, will come to see that there are a number of people on this forum who repeatedly attack me, and repeatedly take a position opposing anything I write for no rational or evidence-based reasons whatsoever.

I can't do anything about their irrationality, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit quietly by and accept the blame for disruptive behaviour which they instigate because of their irrationality.

I have no idea what you've written, but I'm sure it will merely confirm that you are right and the rest of the world is wrong, as ever! :rolleyes:

I didn't mis-read your question, but i chose to give the answer i did for my reasons.
OK, that covers the first question.

What is your reason for not answering the second one?

Not wishing to be rude but given everything thats been said so far, I feel there is little point explaining.
I'm sorry - since you chose to enter a discussion of which a significant part hinges around whether a person who is subjected to an unprovoked attack is the one who should be blamed for what stems from that attack I thought you might like to explain what your position was.

Do you ever chill-out?
Frequently.

Do you think you'll ever answer the question above about who you think should be blamed for starting a fight?

I didn't mis-read your question, but i chose to give the answer i did for my reasons.
OK, that covers the first question.

What is your reason for not answering the second one?
what was that one? Its difficult to keep track, remind me...
Not wishing to be rude but given everything thats been said so far, I feel there is little point explaining.
I'm sorry - since you chose to enter a discussion of which a significant part hinges around whether a person who is subjected to an unprovoked attack is the one who should be blamed for what stems from that attack I thought you might like to explain what your position was.
You may feel that the unprovoked fight thing is the centre of this thread, but it seems you are alone in that way of thinking.
Do you ever chill-out?
Frequently.
it doesn't show
Do you think you'll ever answer the question above about who you think should be blamed for starting a fight?
probably not, as i don't think its going to help anything.

Banal, may I ask your ethnicity?
May I ask why, if you think I should be banned from this site in order reduce the number of personal insults and condescending remarks, you also think that it's OK for you to keep addressing me like that?

Anyway - of course you may ask about my ethnicity, I can't stop you.

But I can refuse to answer on the grounds that it's utterly irrelevant to the issues being discussed here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back