Any Tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been changing out the Compliance bushings on my car. I have completed the Drivers side without to much of an issue.

However, I am now on with the Far side and having a bit of trouble. Attached to the 'Wish Bone' there is a Rod Stabiliser. This is bolted on using those allan head bolts and a hex nut. So you need both an allen key & a Spanner to remove it. The problem I have is that the 5mm hole for the Allan key is completley rounded due to corrossion. And now I am stuck on how to get this off.

I have tried various tactics including hammering in a larger Allan Key (5.5mm) and using heat to expand it further (inside). But to no avail. I have even tried tapping the hole and screwing a bolt in. But the bolt wouldn't hold.

So short of cutting the bolt and paying £55 for a new stabiliser, can anyone suggest what I could do.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Find a nut that will slide over it and weld it on through the hole in the centre, always works for me.

Peter

1. Loosen the nut with a spanner and hold the hex head with grips? Lots of WD40 on the threads.

2. Try hammering in a multi spline toque bit and apply intense heat to the nut only, with extinguisher nearby at all times.

3. Local breaker will have the bits if you do have to cut with the grinder? Might be wise to get them first though

Thanks for the replies!

Peter, Unfortunately, I have no Welder. But Thanks any way.

Mursal, I have the nut about 3/4 of the way off, so no room for the grips.
I have tried the Torque bit idea, except I applied the heat to the Torque bit.
So I will try as you suggest with the heat on the nut. The main problem I have is that I cant get a good hit on the bit with the hammer because of the lack of space.

Anyway, I'll try that. If all fails, I have just found a new stabilser from bay for £17. So not the end of the world.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
A vey common scenario this one.....I use a 1mm slitting disc on the angle grinder, and slice through the nut downwards, just keeping it clear from the thread.....usually I'm changing the stabiliser because its shot anyway.
John :)

a grinder is probably safest as already suggested. i usually heat it right up until the plastic bushing inside melts just leaving the ball on there, a mole grips will then hold whats left.

A vey common scenario this one.....I use a 1mm slitting disc on the angle grinder, and slice through the nut downwards, just keeping it clear from the thread.....usually I'm changing the stabiliser because its shot anyway.
John :)

If i'm changing one because its worn out i just use a crowbar and force the ball joint apart and then just use mole grips on the "ball" part and undo the nut as normal.
With things like this where there is a lot of exposed (rusty) thread it helps to wirebrush the thread clean and use plenty of lubricant (WD 40) before attempting to undo the nut, otherwise the nut becomes tight on the rusty thread and you need excessive force to shift it.

Back