Anyone been burgled?

but worse of all was a camera with our child's birthday pictures on it .
Sorry to hear it Sall.

Boots the chemist lost all ours by losing the film! This was in the days before digital cameras and computer processing was as mainstream as today. I was absolutely fuming at the shop manager.

Aaanyhoo, had the loss adjuster around today.

As Alarm has said, the insurance companies prefer you to lock accessible windows. However, they also said the key to the window should be left in the lock for ease of escape in a fire.

He assured us that our house was 'secure' and that we had done all was necessary to deter a burglar. Having an unlocked and accessible window did not invalidate our claim.

However, we are awaiting their response from the loss adjusters visit.....:cool:

Sponsored Links
Well I`m surprised about keys being left in the locks. Not heard that one yet myself, then again a few more years until retirement yet ;)
A rehearsed drill of sorts if children are involved and keys left in known places and accessible is the better method.

I also concurr about the loss adjuster and his visit, recently had mine about a flood. Fine on site, agreed with everything. letter arrived and is a completley different story.

And I`m having a new kitchen floor if it kills me, was only laid in March!!

Well I`m surprised about keys being left in the locks. !!

Off the record, he said it would be insane to lock windows as it kills people.

On the record he said the lockable windows should be locked but the key should be highly visible, reachable from low down and preferably in the lock.

It seems like one of those insurance paradoxes i'm afraid!

I agree.
All I have maintained is the rules I have had to work to and advise customers to. I always make a suggestion as to how and where to keep the keys dependant on the layout and possible routes out in a fire.
Having been caught in one, I feel I can make valid suggestions ( I had to get out of a 2nd floor window, stairs were gone).

Even better is ( Insurance headaches) commercial property with insurance stipulations and fire officer demands. Then you have the regional manager saying its his store and he`ll do as he likes.
Luckily now things have settled down but over the years its been a PITA.

Here is the ABI guidelines ( short version) http://www.abi.org.uk/Information/Consumers/General/Downloads_Home_Insurance__Claims.aspx

It specifically says lock all windows remove the keys and keep in a safe place.

Sponsored Links
surely if it is a fire escape window [a room with only one escape route] it must be left in the window??

surely if it is a fire escape window [a room with only one escape route] it must be left in the window??

Read the document I posted the link to.

Then read thru the tread about the restraints we have to work to with the insurers and fire officers.

Another example ; Someone broken into, all locked as per Ins spec. Keys were found to side door to garage and car key.
They tried to wrangle out of paying out, the client won in the end. Using along with his own evidence a copy invoice and copy quote of all the relevant locks and bolts fitted to the required doors and standards.

Sick I know, but thats a loss adjusters job.
Personally I have taken photographs of all my insured valuables ( as you should) and of all doors and windows and locking devices.
Keys are kept in two positions out of sight as there are two exits in case of fire and my children come before everything else.

To add, my fire and carbon monoxide detectors are tested every month.
A few quid is not worth arguing about when lives especially others than your own (Family) let alone visitors. But thats another story, but some insurers do require fire detection too.

Back