Anyone been burgled?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were on Tuesday (27th).

I won't go into details, but they did it whilst we were out and (thankfully) did not do too much damage but took a lot of sentimental, irreplaceable stuff from our house.

I was first home and my initial reaction was confusion as to why there was broken glass all over the kitchen floor. After securing the house, i called my wife, the rozzers then my local window supplier to provide me with a solid panel.

Whilst i am gutted in the fact that all of my wifes' jewelry has gone, i am also pragmatic in the sense that 'these things happen' and that there is not a darn thing that getting angry can do about it.

The children have lost replaceable stuff, the damage was limited and sadly, the only one to really suffer any irreplaceable loss is my wife.

For this reason i want a just result.

Otherwise it is life as normal.

The kids are ok, the wife is ****ed off but ok and we are carrying on as normal. Is there any need to get angry or just let the rozzers and the insurance company do their stuff?

Sponsored Links
Did you have an alarm system? Did you set it? I've fitted over a thousand alarms over the years and we've only ever had one break-in by a crack-head that blundered in and back out without taking anything. If you haven't got one - then why not?

sorry to here that noseall....

do you feel 'soiled' do you feel the need to move? have you lived in the house long?

i have never been burgled, but i would be sooo cross :evil:

Did you have an alarm system? Did you set it? I've fitted over a thousand alarms over the years and we've only ever had one break-in by a crack-head that blundered in and back out without taking anything. If you haven't got one - then why not?
No to all those Joe.

Sponsored Links
I bet you get one next week. It's worth £400 to get peace of mind.

do you feel 'soiled' do you feel the need to move? have you lived in the house long?
No. We are happy with our location ans i do not feel particularly violated.

However, being burgled does point out that even the most conspicuous homes are not safe.

There has been a spate of burglaries around here lately, surprisingly even those with alarm systems. The desperate are getting 'desparater'.

so what's best, an alarm or a dog? or maybe retire early and stay at home all day?

We were on Tuesday (27th).

I won't go into details, but they did it whilst we were out and (thankfully) did not do too much damage but took a lot of sentimental, irreplaceable stuff from our house.

I was first home and my initial reaction was confusion as to why there was broken glass all over the kitchen floor. After securing the house, i called my wife, the rozzers then my local window supplier to provide me with a solid panel.

Whilst i am gutted in the fact that all of my wifes' jewelry has gone, i am also pragmatic in the sense that 'these things happen' and that there is not a darn thing that getting angry can do about it.

The children have lost replaceable stuff, the damage was limited and sadly, the only one to really suffer any irreplaceable loss is my wife.

For this reason i want a just result.

Otherwise it is life as normal.

The kids are ok, the wife is p****d off but ok and we are carrying on as normal. Is there any need to get angry or just let the rozzers and the insurance company do their stuff?

getting angry wont help but it is natural, we were burgled a few yrs ago, a wee tip that might help is to go to the local cash convertors type place, i dont care what anyone says they can sue me if they want but this is the type of place that buys knocked off gear, yes there are rules etc for providing ID and receipts but they dont care, we got burgled about 4pm on fri, wrecked the place took anything of value but must have got disturbed when we returned, as there were wee piles off stuff sitting on the floor ready to be moved, i went to the local cash convertors at 9am on the sat to ask the guy if they could look out for any dodgy characters selling my stuff and i gave him a list, when we went out my sons clocked 3 wee rattling x-rays coming into the shopping centre carrying black bin bags, i thought cant be but followed her into the cash convertors while the other 2 stayed outside, waited behind her in the queue then right in front of my eyes out comes loads of my stuff, i went outside and gave my son a nod and went back in, confronted her and told the guy to call the police, he was more bothered about the fuss i was making and then in comes my son with the other 2 in a headlock, they actually tried to tell me to leave the shop as i was causing a disturbance, they knew the junkies by name cause they were telling them to calm down, the police came and arressted the 5 of us, cause the junkies were shouting about being kidnapped, mam you couldnt make it up, got released after an hour or so and the junkies got detained and charged, but the shop knew all about it and MUST have dealt with them before, i hate them

I find a descent alarm, cctv and a protective dog does the trick for me. ;)

I find a descent alarm, cctv and a protective dog does the trick for me. ;)

I think an alarm, a dog, a lion, some bars, a couple of hired thugs, a bunch of halogen pillar lamps and a partridge in a pear tree will make anyone secure and bonkers at the same time.

Turn your house into a fortress and at the same time turn it into a prison.

Well if people can't even protect their most expensive possession they are liable to ever own.
Then they must come to terms with the consequences of being burgled. :rolleyes:

Armed raiders with masks will force their way into a home if they are so inclined, regardless of pets, alarms, bells or whistles.

This is the voice of all that is criminal.

Your reason is sound but flawed.

It will protect you from the petty but not from the determined or hardened.

For this you need lions, goons, bars and guns.

I took my chances for the last 15 years and i will do so for the next 15 years. Dogs are only ever good if they are alive and barking.

Sponsored Links
Back