Anyone been burgled?

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's the feeling of violation that I found the hardest to get over. How f****ng dare they?

Sponsored Links
How dare they indeed.

How could it happen to me?

I am pragmatic enough accept that you are very lucky that it does NOT happen to you.

There are very few door handles that have not been tested by a burglar.

Cheers for the support. ;)

It will protect you from the petty but not from the determined or hardened.

Yes but the determined or hardened aren't picking on the everyday people like us they are more interested in people with large amounts of money or antiques or who have connections to these.
These jobs are a totally different ball game.

True.

Having said that, all these thugs usually want is a fast car.

That means that everyone who owns anything bought within the last 5 years and is more powerful than say the average saloon is likely to need the security that i have stated.

How many are likely to do this in ask?

Sponsored Links
It is a shame, I was burgled once. I was 17 and my first house. Was easy for them an insecure back door, but I did not know then what I know now.

OP you say broken glass in the door, was there a key in the lock ?
First line of defence is deadlocks and bolts on the back and side doors WITH ALL KEYS REMOVED.

If your keys were in the door or by it and reachable and the insurers assessor works that out you may not be covered.

Just a warning, seen it before.

So back to a break in, secure locks on the accessible doors and windows. An alarm obviously ( Well for me and a few others it is a necessity) .
Cameras if you see the need, just hide the recording device and dont trail the cables to it either. Hide them too.

It was worked out a few years ago that in the London area you will probably get hit once. Sad fact I know.

If your unsure about your home security get a free survey from an accredited locksmiths or a NACOSS/SSAIB alarm company.

Sorry for the loss and distress caused, and bare in mind the key issue I mentioned.

If there is any consolation, stuff was taken. Nobody was hurt.

I was asleep in my flat, and hear some strange noise. Next thing, light is turned on, this bloke in my bedroom. Where's Jimmy? he says,....in complete fright I say - never heard of him....then he left.

He used an ex tennants key to gain access...so I immediately changed locks. Apparently Jimmy was the previous tennant, who was a drug dealer...when removing the furniture from the flat, and taking it to the tip, the bin men said, who's living at your place? A drug dealer, because there were syringes down the side of the settee...

Then a couple of months later my mail gets stolen from the communal hallway, I applied for a loan to buy a car, and the cheque was cashed, and spent, by persons unknown. And I was dragged into the police station for questioning.

Then a couple of months later the door was smashed in, but nothing robbed. I think.

After enough of this, I told my landlord that we needed to move, and moved, so viewed the new flat, moved in, then a few days later, the old tenant explained to me how my furniture had been arranged...as he has entered the property illegally, as he kept hold of a key. So immediately changed to lock, again.

So being broken into, does make you feel violated, hollow, defeated...and the police response...useless...but you grow, and see things how they are, but are a little careful.

My 78 year old Aunty was burgled, while she was in bed, she heard the rummaging around, but did nothing...must have been hell for her.

Personally these people that rob, should be shot on sight, but my gun is broken.

First line of defence is deadlocks and bolts on the back and side doors WITH ALL KEYS REMOVED.

If your keys were in the door or by it and reachable and the insurers assessor works that out you may not be covered.
Good advice - I have double glazed french doors at the rear and I always remove the key and put it out of sight when I go out. They might get a 10year old junior scrote to slip in through an open window, but there's no point in making life easy for them and letting them open the doors to move your stuff out.

Cameras if you see the need, just hide the recording device and dont trail the cables to it either. Hide them too.
Or consider an internet enabled camera with motion capture software.

When I lived in a flat and had thieving neighbours I set up a £7 webcam pointing out the window to cover my driveway and main entrance and connected to a cheap PC that I left running when I went to work. It came with free security software that would recognise motion (by the number of pixles changing - trees and shadows used to set it off sometimes).
The software would email any screen captures to a webmail account, so even if someone stole the PC the video of them nicking it would be in my hands. After a bit of fiddling with the settings I had 320x240 full colour videos captured at 3frames per sec and compressed with a free DIVX codec coming in at around 1mb for 30 secs. Quality was good enough to read car number plates at 30ft.

Personally these people that rob, should be shot on sight, but my gun is broken.

Much as I hate and doubt the idea of you owning any form of firearm, curiosity grabs me.

What is it, and what exactly is broken?

...so I immediately changed locks.

..viewed the new flat, .... So immediately changed to lock, again.

Why on earth did you move into a new place and not change the locks same day, TWICE??? :eek:

Much as I hate and doubt the idea of you owning any form of firearm, curiosity grabs me.

What is it, and what exactly is broken?

The stock is missing from my Chinese spec air rifle..that I removed, to prevent it being stolen, and used illegally. The rifle is used in North Korea, and China, by the Army, as a training weapon, and is quite powerful. More than capable of killing a person. However, mine is deactivated, by me. However, totally legal to own and use in the UK. The re-gas system is faulty, and it needs a service anyhow, so power would be down to 40-60% ? But with the stock removed....completely useless.

OP you say broken glass in the door, was there a key in the lock ?
All the keys to all the doors were hung up on a hook above all the external doors.

All were ignored.

They broke the the large pane of glass in the upper part of my rear upvc door and climbed in and out of there.

In this instance secure locks or ANY locks were a waste of time.

CCTV or an alarm may have saved the day, but they ignored the alarm at the house up the road.

All very well,but getting on in years my greatest fear is fire.My keys are out of sight but close to each door.Being stuck without a key in a blazing door well is not a pleasant thought.

I've taken every precaution possible to encourage the scum to look elsewhere.Alarm,solid rear gate with cameras inside yard and out.Chain padlock on the front gate...and steel safety gate on rear door.

The area isn't too bad, but the lack of van on the front yard told the local yobs when I was at work all day and the house was unnocupied.So I had to take precautions.

ab659edd.jpg

db3b1e78.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back