Anyone been burgled?

My commiserations, Noseall.

At a previous house I was burgled many times. It did mean that I became less emotive each time that it happened. Yes, I had an alarm, but either it was ignored or there was no-one to hear it.
It was detached, four bedrooms, at the end of the cul de sac, with canal towpath alongside and railway across the back. I was living alone so the house was empty all day, and most evenings. Next door, and next door but one and house opposite was similarly empty all day. Thus I was a prime target.

It was more the senseless damage that was inflicted than the loss of valuables that annoyed me.

TBH, I concentrated on my insurance being up to scratch, followed the tips on doorlocks and keys offered by other posters. Generally made it look harder to break into than other houses, including locks on windows, so if they came in through broken glass, that was their only way out.
As said before they are the scum of the earth, but they are also lazy bu99ers and if they see easier pickings elsewhere, that is where they'll go.

I'm not sure if there was also another influence on the situation or whether it was coincidence, but we had a new Chief Constable in the region and things did seem to improve. Perhaps it's worth checking on similar crime data in your area and making it a political point with your peers.

Another important consideration is the neighbourhood watch, not in the official scheme, but certainly in the spirit of the ideas.

Sponsored Links
If they repeatedly use the same window to get in then get some of that security film on it to make it harder to get in. They might give up and go next door........ or they might use another of your windows. :LOL:

As an ex alarm fitter I know they are really only any use if anyone pays attention to them but according to scumbags it does cut down your chances of being broken into as the crim will just go next door instead unless he is specifically there for your stuff.

I always go out for a look at neighbours houses if the alarm goes off, was even accused of being the burglar once. :LOL: Most neighbours have said they wouldn't go for a look and only some would phone the police, who won't turn up of course.

Also, supposedly some criminals say they love halogen security lights as it gives them all the light they need to gain entry.

Also, NACOSS are bigger crooks than the crooks themselves, don't know about SSAIB.

Generally made it look harder to break into than other houses, including locks on windows, so if they came in through broken glass, that was their only way out.
As said before they are the scum of the earth, but they are also lazy b*****s and if they see easier pickings elsewhere, that is where they'll go.

My thoughts too...may look like a prison (joe-90) but I 'aint been burgled.

I'm not sure if there was also another influence on the situation or whether it was coincidence, but we had a new Chief Constable in the region and things did seem to improve. Perhaps it's worth checking on similar crime data in your area and making it a political point with your peers.Another important consideration is the neighbourhood watch, not in the official scheme, but certainly in the spirit of the ideas.

I agreed purchase of a house three miles away from here...after talking to neighbours I ran a crime check and discovered it had the highest rate of reported crime of any street in EUROPE in 2008
That prompted a quick phone call... :confused:

[All the keys to all the doors were hung up on a hook above all the external doors.

All were ignored.

They broke the the large pane of glass in the upper part of my rear upvc door and climbed in and out of there.

In this instance secure locks or ANY locks were a waste of time.

CCTV or an alarm may have saved the day, but they ignored the alarm at the house up the road.
Sorry to hear your bad news, Noseall . An alarm that connects straight to the police is worth considering - if you`ve actually got a cop shop near and open 24/7 :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Noseall............sorry to hear about this but just a word of warning that these scumbags may return as you have given them a supply of goods which they have sold to feed the habit ...I would love them see them shot onsite ....I used to lock my door and put the keys upsatairs until the local fire brigade done a check and pointed out if you have a fire you and your family need to get out fast so I now lock the door and leave the keys in the lock for a quick exit, the area I live in is not bad for crime but leaving the keys in the door will make life easier for the scumbags and possibly void my insurance but if it means us getting out quickly I will live with that

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, or if it still applies, but there used to be a possibility of the scumbags making a repeat visit after you've replaced valuables with brand new ones from the insurance payout.

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, or if it still applies, but there used to be a possibility of the scumbags making a repeat visit after you've replaced valuables with brand new ones from the insurance payout.

Yeah, I have just mentioned it, cant remember where I read it but the chances of a repeat burglary is high

I, as well as a few others put a higher value on not being burned to death or suffocated to death, ahead of security.

All the keys to our doors are kept close to the locks which they serve.

None of the upstairs windows are locked, nor will they ever be locked.

We even had a drill once where we showed the kids the escape route upstairs in case of fire. I came home from work one day to find my young child on the garage roof! :eek:

What a lot of people do not realise is just how little time you have to exit a burning building. A couple of lungfuls of toxic smoke and you are struggling.

you can buy a fake dog that barks when people come near your house it might make a scumbag think twice, leave out a bowl of water and a few well chewed dog toys to to add to the illusion

saw it on the net

I agree about the fire and locked door thing, so I deadlock the front door when leaving the house, not when at home.

Keys to window locks are hung on cup-hooks on the windowframes, out of sight from anyone outside the house.

Any keys not in use are locked in a keysafe, so never lying around when the house is unoccupied

As for ignored alarms, I used to be away a lot on business, so my alarm monitoring co rings a keyholder - a trusted neighbour, but if he is out, I also have a local security guard co who will send round a van with man and dog. On the one occasion when I was away and someone tried to force the back door, the combination of loud (commercial) alarm +police response +security guard seems to have persuaded them not to come back. In his haste to escape, the ne'erdowell broke down a panel of the back fence (I have since put barbed wire on it)

The security guard co charges me £150 p.a. to hold the key, plus call-out charges if any, which is a bit expensive, but not as bad as a burglary.

...so I immediately changed locks.

..viewed the new flat, .... So immediately changed to lock, again.

Why on earth did you move into a new place and not change the locks same day, TWICE??? :eek:

Exactly, dont change the locks and who knows who has the keys.
Stupid, you must be an idiot or mental not to change the locks.

noseall sorry to hear about your intrusion, you can be as pragmatic as you like, but it is simply not on.
What right has a has anyone to go in to your property uninvited and help themselves to what is not theirs?
Unfortunately these people don't care, they are not bothered if it's alarmed or even if you have a dog.
The likelihood is the alarm will be ignored and they will take the dog too.
Mr Martin had the right idea! Shoot the batsards!

Well the good thing now is that we are not automatically found to be in the wrong when we catch the baskets. I would love to catch one in the act. The basket would not do it again, and it would take a few days before I even reported the fact.
Afterall, got to have some fun!

Sponsored Links
Back