Anyone CORGI reg: Gas hob/cooker near an openable window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just planning a kitchen for a refurb job in a property which I will eventually be renting out and I seem to recall some restriction regarding fitting a gas hob or gas cooker close to an openable window. I am intending putting in both a gas and electric supply for the appliance so that the tenant can make their own choice concerning the appliance type but, I obviously need to have the gas and electric supplies put in local to where it will be located.

Does anyone know the current up to date ruling on how far a gas hob or cooker needs to be away from an openable window and is this distance measured form the edge of the opener or from the edge of the window frame itself?

The type of cooker that would be installed would be as the link below:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...cip=35948.Cookers>C$cip=35954.Gas+cookers.htm

Also, does this sort of appliance need to be a certain distance away from the worktop edge or can this be fitted tight upto the worktop as long as the worktop edge has a metal edging strip screwed to it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
NO specific guidance on windows iirc. Unless the flames blow about too much, which is unlikely.
Tight, with metal ends, is fine if the same height (so ends don't overheat)

Think thrice abut a gas cooker in a rented property.
I disconnected a posh one today because the tenant hadn't kept it clean so it didn't pass annual inspection. It's 2 years old.
Tenant mad at me but I have inertia. Tenant mad at landlord. Landlord asks me "will it be OK if it's cleaned" - dunno mate, clean it and I'll retest it, for the same fee.
Landlord says "what am I supposed to do".
I says "get it serviced by the manufacturer".
"How much"
"How much is an electric cooker"... you get the picture.

you are CORGI registered then?

In case you are unsure, you need to be competent and register the gas appliance with CORGI once installed. (But you suggest your putting in the supply only.) How will you test it?

Maybe you could invest in a competent person doing the work and spend time wasted on here looking to extend your portfolio.

David

Maybe I'm naïve but I didn't read any dark intent in the poster's question...

Sponsored Links
register the gas appliance with CORGI once installed.

Really ? surely only if he's CORGI regd - are you confused, or am I ?

How will you test it?

Baked beans and sausage fry up sounds a good start

That its installed with the correct clearances, that its gas tight, that the working pressures correct, that the flame settings are correct, that any flame failure devices operate correctly....

When it comes to cookers the majority of cheap Moffats, Bekos etc have major faults even though they are brand knew. QC and batch testing is falsified by the manufacturers (I can prove it). Even items such as ignition modules may not be connected. Hence need for thorough testing, and why installation can cost more than the cooker (when you've had to finish assembling it).

Soggy_weetabix said:
you are CORGI registered then?

In case you are unsure, you need to be competent and register the gas appliance with CORGI once installed. (But you suggest your putting in the supply only.) How will you test it?

Maybe you could invest in a competent person doing the work and spend time wasted on here looking to extend your portfolio.

David

Thanks for that rather 'pleasant' response.

I am, as I stated, planning the kitchen and perhaps I should have been more specific when I said "I am intending putting in both a gas and electric supply for the appliance etc......". I should have said "My CORGI registered installer will be putting in the gas supply and my NICEIC registered electrical contractor will be installing the electric supply in full accordance with Part P when he rewires the remainder of the property".

I apologise for not making this clear to you however, I think the tone of your response is uncalled for. I posted the question because a) I did not know the correct answer to it and b) the proposed siting of the appliance will affect the layout of the kitchen which I am planning and I would rather find out the correct answer regarding the supplies before I order the kitchen units for obvious reasons.

You should appreciate that some people come on to this and other forums essentially to ask questions that they do not know the answers to, in the hope that people who are more knowledgeable in the particular subject matter will be in a position to offer advice and answers and thankfully, I have had some genuinely useful and informative responses, unlike the one which you have given. Perhaps you should just pause before you hit the Submit button and press preview instead, read through your reply and ask yourself "would I be happy to or offended when I receive this post?"......Think about it.

ChrisR, Corgiman, raden and Gasguru : Thanks for your responses.

Just out of curiosity and so I can understand and ask for the correct thing, once the gas installation in completed upto where the cooker will be installed, what is an acceptable means of terminating the pipework to enable a test to be carried out. Is it acceptable to fit a bayonnet socket, (that the cooker flexi hose would connect onto), fixed to the wall and leave this as the termination point? Could the installation then be accurately tested?

Thanks

As Chris pointed out earlier some tenants will ruin your cooker. Unless its a high end property I would suggest you install an electric cooker.

There are far more ways tenants can wreck a gas cooker.

Pipe the gas to low level behind the cooker and cap it off. Then if you decide to sell the property (or a tenant insists on a gas cooker) it a simple matter to install a bayonet socket. Think carefully about the gap between units as cooker sizes vary considerably.

If your insistant on gas don''t get that Electrolux, its far too nice, budget £250 to £300 and get something British sounding. As I mentioned before the cheapo imported stuff really is rubbish. The installation can be tested for leaks up to the bayonet (or capped off pipework) and then again if a cooker is installed.

Also never be tempted with the secondhand shops - they all operate illegally - much of their stuff is in poor condition (it certainly is once they've had the jetwash on them) and none of them are qualified to install and repair - it simply isn't a viable business being legit.

My intention is to have the gas and electric supplies installed but to leave it up to the tenant to bring their own gas or electric cooker and white goods etc. This is what I have done in the past and its always worked out ok.

So as long as I am ok to get the new gas pipework installed upto the bayonet socket and then tested then this should be ok. I appreciate that once the cooker is installed, this will have to be re-tested.

Thanks for the other advice though. Much appreciated.

leave it up to the tenant to bring their own gas or electric cooker

That normally means (in my neck of the woods) the tenant will be straight down to the secondhand cooker shop - pay over the odds for a cooker that may or may not be safe and then installed by the same shop that is almost guaranteed to carry out an illegal installation.

Think very carefully - I've been called to some major gas leaks left by cooker shops - on one they failed to tighten up a compression nut - the tenant came home early - just as well. All scondhand cookers must comply with the gas cooker regulations, in effect they must operate as if they were new complete with the instruction manual - they rarely do.

The trading standards system is deeply flawed - they pre-warn the shops of an impending visit - just time to get their act together and a corupt reg. gas engineer to sit in the shop.

You seem to have not noticed the suggestion above that you cap it off the gas and do NOT fit a bayonet socket.

Its perfectly adequate to fit a bayonet socket and leave it that way in case any tenant wants to use a gas cooker.

I do not share the views above about tenants in the private sector. Most I come across are clean and tidy. The problem only affects social housing tenants. I dont know why landlords bother with them!

Tony

I don't DO social housing tenants. Can't be bothered with all the dust sheets you need to put everywhere to keep the dirt of your clothes.

Gas cookers are just a pain for landlords. Todays had gravy in the oven burners I think. Wouldn't happen with an electric one.

PLus all that water in the products of combustion wrecks the decor. People might use a hood for the hob, never the oven, but they often find them too noisy. And they're useless unless they extract to outside.

The OP is correct, if he as the landlord does not provide the Gas Appliance then it is not his responsibility. His responsibility stops with the Gas Carcass, the condition of the appliance at his annual inspection is not his problem although it will be his Gas engineers if it is unsatisfactory while doing his visual checks.

As far as your original question goes, placing a cooker underneath a window etc requires a little common sense. Recently had a similar problem in a kitchen and contacted Corgi Tech Support, basically all instances should be factored in and fortunately the Cooker i was installing had thermocoupling flame safety device, meaning if the flame blow out from a draught the the gas supply would interrupted.

Registered Gas Man said:
Corgi Tech Support - basically all instances should be factored in
A typically meaningless piece of advice from Corgi technical. Sounds like it's just down to our judgement and common sense, but we need something more specific to declare a cooker NCS or AR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back