Anyone got snow?

Only time I've seen "proper" snow was at my grand house. She lived in the pennies, used to get 15 to 20 foot drifts. They once lost a double decker bus on the tops when it became stuck and then got buried in snow.

Sponsored Links
None here in Essex yet but some promised for tomorrow. :cautious:

Anyone got snow?

bagged_cocaine.jpg

How much do you need Mottie?

Andy

Only time I've seen "proper" snow was at my grand house. She lived in the pennies, used to get 15 to 20 foot drifts. They once lost a double decker bus on the tops when it became stuck and then got buried in snow.
I used to work up in the Pennines, had the highest road in England to contend with, once got stuck at the end of April in snow in a very seriously off road prepared Suzuki SJ413, as luck would have it I'd just removed all the self recovery gear that weekend as I thought we'd have had the last of the snow!

Sponsored Links
Didn't the moths evolve into a different colour to blend in with the discoloured trees as well?
That used to be thought, and the NHM used to have a display with a country tree and a city tree, with country and city moths pinned to each. The city trees and moths were dark, and the country ones pale. The explanation given was that moths not merging into the background were seen and eaten by birds, so it was an evolutionary advantage and the city offspring were dark.

However....

Experimentally, some of the old city moths were washed.

They were just dirty with smoke and soot.

My missus is from the North East. 1st time I went up there to see her (around 91) the whole place smelt of coal fires I don’t think I’d ever seen one (or smelt) before that.

Just rain. Sod all snow so far. Never mind, 100% guaranteed in the next 10 minutes. :rolleyes: Pah!

5D1B74BE-7C39-494C-9605-40EAF7241364.jpeg

Last edited:
No doubt we'll hear and see much about it, endless reports of snow in the south east... and then at the end of the news.

.. and in breaking news, the north of England was hit by a nuclear weapon, thats it for the news, we're back at 6 tomorrow for more reports on the snow.

Got a light dusting at the moment but it's continuous and getting a bit heavier.

We used to go camping in the Peak District, (proper camping, on the moors not some fancy site with mod cons), in early spring and often pitched the tent on a thick layer of snow. If it kept snowing and covered the tent it's amazing how much it insulates you.

I'm in North Essex mottie, and we've had a fair bit today by southern standards.

Sponsored Links
Back