Anyone Help Identifying This Electrical Connector/Coupler?

Sponsored Links
Ok, Central Heating is permanently on, with an electronic stat that allows for a day and separate night temperature setting.

But does it run every day?

Mine is as you describe, but there's a period of several months each year where it never runs.

Yes every day, 24/7/365 - In the summer the temperature rarely dips enough to trigger the thermostat, but it is on - just in case.

The Other Half is very temperature sensitive... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes every day, 24/7/365 - In the summer the temperature rarely dips enough to trigger the thermostat, but it is on - just in case.

The Other Half is very temperature sensitive... :rolleyes:
Yea but the pump should only be running when the boiler fires - so shouldn’t be running 24/7. If the pump runs irrespective of whether the boiler has fired or not is your main issue, not cheap pumps

Yea but the pump should only be running when the boiler fires - so shouldn’t be running 24/7. If the pump runs irrespective of whether the boiler has fired or not is your main issue, not cheap pumps
Ok, the pump only comes on when the boiler fires < my point was that I thought we had got through a lot of pumps and valves because my CH was on more often than the standard household - rather than us buying cheap pumps and/or valves.

Installing a new pump or valve is not a big deal as long as I have these connectors installed :)

Just how often do you find yourself swapping out faulty pumps, valves, stats etc?
Probably not that often, but loose plugs do often make things easier. While it might not be complicated, wiring to the terminals on a pump when it's in-situ is often "less easy than it could be" since the pump will have been positioned for ease of plumbing and not ease of wiring. And often, it won't be practical to wire the pump beforehand - cable too short to let pump rest on convenient surface while wiring and before installing in the pipework.
Also, if there's a problem, pulling a plug out to divide the system is quicker and easier than unwiring something. A while ago we had a problem where the RCD was tripping - narrowed it down to the socket RFC, and eventually to the heating (switched FCU), then had to narrow it down to one component. In this case we guessed at the pump based on the delay between switching on and the RCD tripping, but had to disconnect it to confirm - there's been a small leak and water had got into the terminal box.

The Grundfoss Alpha4 pump has a plug connection to the pump which makes things quite easy.

EDIT: PS: Our heating is also on 24/7 now I've fitted a Salus programmable stat. Instead of having a stat set at one temperature and a timer to say when the system should be on - it is "always on" and simply changes the setpoint at the times you program. So when you would normally have the system turn off altogether at night, you simply set to a lower temperature which will normally result in the same effect - but if things are particularly cold, the heating may come on for a short time during the night.
But the pump itself only runs when the boiler is fired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back