Anyone use Google Earth?

Why blur out the street name plate and then have the name in big letters on screen. Idiots........

I'm guessing they've used some kind of automatic program to do the blurring on various things, number plates, faces etc.. and it happens to have done some needlessly. I very much doubt they've had people go through every photo to individually blur stuff out.

Sponsored Links
I'm on Google Street View strolling back from the shopping.....I remember standing on the corner to let the Google car go past, they used a Vauxhall Astra to take the photos.......thought nothing off it until a mate rung me about 18 months later and said 'you're famous' :LOL:

Why blur out the street name plate and then have the name in big letters on screen. Idiots........

I'm guessing they've used some kind of automatic program to do the blurring on various things, number plates, faces etc.. and it happens to have done some needlessly. I very much doubt they've had people go through every photo to individually blur stuff out.

Oh i think they do, i believe theres an army of minimum wage monkeys there to make sure every face is blurred out for fear of litigation.........

I'm on Google Street View strolling back from the shopping.....I remember standing on the corner to let the Google car go past, they used a Vauxhall Astra to take the photos.......thought nothing off it until a mate rung me about 18 months later and said 'you're famous' :LOL:

Theres people who had fun when the spotted the car getting in front of it so the appeared multiple times.

Theres also a rumour if you photograph it just as it photographs you it creates an implosion and a black hole..........

Sponsored Links
I've sometimes wondered if the photo's taken by google earth during their travels would be admissable in a court of law if by some random fluke, they "caught" someone on camera engaged in a criminal act :confused:

I seem to remember, Google came under a lot of criticism recently. When they were taking the photographs for Streetview, they were also collecting wifi information. So they pass my house and detect my wireless network and make a note of roughly where it is. On it's own, this information is totally useless to anyone. After all Google just know there's a wireless router somewhere in the vicinity.

I seem to remember, Google came under a lot of criticism recently. When they were taking the photographs for Streetview, they were also collecting wifi information. So they pass my house and detect my wireless network and make a note of roughly where it is. On it's own, this information is totally useless to anyone. After all Google just know there's a wireless router somewhere in the vicinity.

at which they can direct adverts by wi-fi............

thats why my house is hardwired, no wi-fi here. My system is ten times more secure as a result, the only way in is through my (not inconsiderable) hardware firewall.

To answer the original question as to wheather I use google earth-
For getting about the answers no, a road atlas and satnav more than surfice.
For general interest (or is that plain old noseyness?) I have used it , but once you've looked at your own house, your old house , friends and parents and places you've worked there's very little use I can find. Added that the earth version is a few years out of date then its use is limited.
The street view is similiar but more up to date, and I've found a least one person less than half a mile from my house that isn't blurred out.

To answer the original question as to wheather I use google earth-
For getting about the answers no, a road atlas and satnav more than surfice.
For general interest (or is that plain old noseyness?) I have used it , but once you've looked at your own house, your old house , friends and parents and places you've worked there's very little use I can find. Added that the earth version is a few years out of date then its use is limited.
The street view is similiar but more up to date, and I've found a least one person less than half a mile from my house that isn't blurred out.

Street view is quite useful, you can look at a place before you drive there or stay there.

Ive also had a good look round Tokyo, and seen the bits i missed :D

I used streetview to see what my lawn looked like last year, before the last occupant of the house moved out and let it grow 2ft high. I now live in hope . . .

Also checked out the brickwork on the side of the house :LOL: (the side faces a public pavement, the camera passed within 6ft of the wall)

Can suss out any awkward roundabouts - get position like local...

Arrive here first time ever - evening rush- low sun - wet roads - several east euro artics meandering around...

MagicR.jpg

And to answer the Q regarding roads... I lose the numbering with 'roads' un ticked... Note the horizontal slider top of final pix... This sets transparency of selected overlay - try it !!
Layers.jpg

:D

Empip, thanks for your reply.
What I am trying to find out is how do you get the road numbers to show.

In your photo you have A4259 in a small white box. On mine I get either a plain white or a plain green box with no numbering/wording in them. How do I change this? I've tried the transparency slider but this didn't do it.

Pip says that you must ensure the "roads" icon is ticked in order to enable road numbers on the images.

Sponsored Links
Back