Apollo 30/50B spares

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a phone call from British Gas this evening (I've got central heating cover with them), informing me that the manufacturer is no longer supporting my boiler - an Apollo 30/50B - and that spares would no longer be avaiable for it. They recommended to send one of their reps around to quote for a replacement boiler.

I know the boiler is quite old now, but is it true that spares will no longer be available or are they just pushing for a sale? I had a quick look around the web and found one site that still listed spares for the 30/50B.

Sponsored Links
I believe most parts are still available from BG.

The words lie / and computer generated sale comes to mind although the apollo is an old boiler its a good boiler most spares are still widely avialable for it and even if BG did not stock the parts which is highly unlikely.
Under the contract you have you can tell them where they are avialable and they then have to source them providing its not a little back street place.

Bet the quote won`t be far off 4k just for a boiler :eek:

what spares do these need anyway?

all i ever replace on these are stats, case seal, gas valves, pilot parts and thermocouples, theres not much else anyway.

ask the next engineer through the door how much parts are left, ask him to show you on the computer, it will undoubtedly be a reduced list but ill bet all the bits above are listed unless something has changed recently.

Sponsored Links
DocTim,

has BG ever taken the inner case off and cleaned out the heat exchanger?

Because there are very reliable boilers they rarely get serviced properly or at all.

As a result the heat exchanger can come quite blocked.

A lolly stick is very useful tool for cleaning them!

Tony

Proper velcro(type) covered tool is far better agile or couple of hack saw blades with teeth taken off

Some of those are so corroded that I immagine there is not much metal left!

I feel safer using wood on Appollos !

As you will know, if the HE starts leaking during a service we get blamed !

Tony

Thats such a coincidence I also have a problem with my boiler an Apollo 15/30 and British Gas have also told me that they can't get the parts

There is obviously something funny going on!

Its not funny at all!

They are now very old boilers and well due for renewal even though they are well designed and very reliable and as efficient as any modern non condensing boiler.

British Gas want to install a nice new boiler for you at a high price which is very profitable for them.

Why not tell us what part is required and we will tell you where BG can go and buy one!

Tony

Thanks for all the responses. I'll keep it for now and see what they say next service. It's been very reliable so far, with the occasional thermocouple and over-heat sensor replaced.

has BG ever taken the inner case off and cleaned out the heat exchanger?

The actual work done for each standard service seems to vary - though did have one who seemed to give it a good clean out (asked to borrow our vacumn cleaner to clean up the mess).

though did have one who seemed to give it a good clean out (asked to borrow our vacumn cleaner to clean up the mess).

reminds me of a work colleague i used to have, who would leave his tools at home & ask if the tenant had a screwdriver etc. he could borrow. :rolleyes:

Thats such a coincidence I also have a problem with my boiler an Apollo 15/30 and British Gas have also told me that they can't get the parts

There is obviously something funny going on!

hmm, im going to have to check the laptop.

30/50b 4178954
15/30b 4178953

a quick check for spares showed no real surprises, most of the things i expect to change on these seem to be available.

the only minor concern is the pilot, some parts are special order which means they will almost certainly be a 7-10 day wait if they are available at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back