Apprentice electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son is quite interested in becoming a apprentice electrician, although now still at school and will be sitting exams next year but along with other school leavers will be trying for a apprenticeship I would be glad of any advice, studying or anything that could give him a head start . thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
physics never did me any good at school, i just about passed it

Sponsored Links
TopTrumper said:
beginners electronics

why?

he wants to be an electrician, not electronics engineer.

Besides, he can read all he likes, wont do much good, since an aprenticeship will teach him all there is he needs to know.

a book doesnt show you how to sweep the floor, go to the bakers, bend conduit, run cables out to a set distance to be installed later

breezer said:
TopTrumper said:
beginners electronics

why?

Besides, he can read all he likes, wont do much good, since an aprenticeship will teach him all there is he needs to know.

a book doesnt show you how to sweep the floor, go to the bakers, bend conduit, run cables out to a set distance to be installed later

I could not have put it better myself breezer.
The OP was looking for info regarding getting prepared for the course, our 1st year of 2360 taken 3or4 years ago was all electronics, it bored me to death.

And yes i agree with you entirely, it caused a lot of arguments on course about the syllibus, we wanted far more practical.

When he writes letters to employers make sure they are signed.

If I get a CV and it doesn't have any singature (or anything in handwriting) it goes in the bin.

It may sound harsh but if someone can't be bothered to put pen to paper then I can't be bothered to look any further.

Make a list of employers, get him to call them, send a CV- and then give them a call a few days later to see if they got it.

The personal touch is a lot better than a bit of paper rolled off a computer and stuck in the post.

breezer said:
TopTrumper said:
beginners electronics

why?

I'm on the second year - level 3 - of C&G 2330.

It's all electronics.

Do schools still have "careers officers" & do you know any self employed electricians or contractors in your area? It used to be possible for the schools to organise unpaid work experience with employers in the industry you are interested in, it would give you an insight into what you will have to look forward to & hold you in good sted at an interview.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back