apprenticeships are like gold dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I'm John, i'm 16 and from liverpool. I'm currently at sixth form, but am wanting to get an electricial apprenticeship, but these are like gold dust a the moment.
I've looked at the forum a couple of times for help with my engineering course and can see alot of electricians come on here.

I was hoping for some advise as to how to get onto an apprenticeship, as i've sent my cv off to everyone in the yellow pages, with no joy.
And if anyone knows of anywhere taking on.

Thank You

John

Sponsored Links
Do a year full time in colege, this will teach you some basics and give you a feel for it, are you sure you wanna be an electrician, does anyone know what they want to do at 16-18??

Hello John
Tough times but I have taken on 2 apprentices in the last 14 months one was on a government help scheme,sadly do not think they still exist but look and try the colleges they can often help.
The second lad sent in his CV by email and letter he put a lot of effort in to his CV and signed it he also offered to work free for a month to prove that he would be an asset to my company. I thought this was a very good way of proving his determination and all I would loose was the cost of his Personal protective Equipment ie Safety Boots/Trainers, Goggles, helmet, Gloves , overalls Etc Plus 4-6hours of my very valuable time interviewing him and getting him started, Day 1 going through the health and safety procedures etc
he then was taken to an electrician on site and was an instant hit as he is intelligent very practical listens and learns does not upset the sparks with back chat and is one of the team. The Electrician was very upset to find that he was working for free and said so to me after the first week.
my reply was for the first year or more he would cost me money I cannot charge anything for him he takes up the electricians time teaching him, customers think they are paying for him( I have had customers refuse to let apprentices onsite). I did start paying him after 2 full weeks. and he is doing well. conclusion.
you wont get a job unless your lucky or present a better deal than all the other young lads you may have to prove your ability for no pay for a few weeks it worked I only wanted 1 apprentice the second one worked his way in try it and good luck let us know how you get on
Kelve[/u][/b]

My younger bro got an plumbing apprenticeship by asking plumbers if he could do some work experience with them for free for a few weeks. The second one he did this for liked him and took him on...worth a try.

These aren't in liverpool but heard they were taking on either apprentices or electricians mates: Tabern Electrical in St helens http://www.tabernelectrical.co.uk or RC Electrical Contractors in Bolton http://www.rcelectricalcontractorsltd.co.uk

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Keep an eye out on the job centre website, I often see positions for trainees and apprentices.

I know BT and Carillion/Telent are very busy at the moment and will probably be looking for staff in the telecoms industry.

Try before you buy seems to be catching on, but a week is the limit

I would suggest you do your CV and try to pop round to the companies personally.

In these times it is really difficult to get a company- it is also really difficult to get a decent apprentice
I have one who will turn into a good electrician if he keeps his head down

God luck

Hello.
I'm John, i'm 16 and from liverpool. I'm currently at sixth form, but am wanting to get an electricial apprenticeship
As a regular electrician? (i.e. the domestic/commercial/industrial type that hang around here?)

Nothing wrong with that at all, but if you cast your net wider then there are other electrical-related opportunities with the National Grid and the DNOs. This, for example, could be an excellent start to a career as an in-demand person - the number of nuclear power stations in use is only going one way.

The BT apprenticeship scheme is known to be very good.

They offer apprenticeships in telecoms and in Power (electrics)

BAE systems in the north west usually have a sizable intake of apps, even though they are currently feeling the pinch of defence cuts

It might be worth having a look at some larger utility companies, such as the local water authority.

I did my apprenticeship with Thames Water and it was really good. I did Mechanical / Electrical, but they also did Electrical / Electronic. They also paid for 4 years of college (and then 4 years of Uni).

Possible more industrial than domestic, but worth a try?

Hello John
Tough times but I have taken on 2 apprentices in the last 14 months one was on a government help scheme,sadly do not think they still exist but look and try the colleges they can often help.
The second lad sent in his CV by email and letter he put a lot of effort in to his CV and signed it he also offered to work free for a month to prove that he would be an asset to my company. I thought this was a very good way of proving his determination and all I would loose was the cost of his Personal protective Equipment ie Safety Boots/Trainers, Goggles, helmet, Gloves , overalls Etc Plus 4-6hours of my very valuable time interviewing him and getting him started, Day 1 going through the health and safety procedures etc
he then was taken to an electrician on site and was an instant hit as he is intelligent very practical listens and learns does not upset the sparks with back chat and is one of the team. The Electrician was very upset to find that he was working for free and said so to me after the first week.
my reply was for the first year or more he would cost me money I cannot charge anything for him he takes up the electricians time teaching him, customers think they are paying for him( I have had customers refuse to let apprentices onsite). I did start paying him after 2 full weeks. and he is doing well. conclusion.
you wont get a job unless your lucky or present a better deal than all the other young lads you may have to prove your ability for no pay for a few weeks it worked I only wanted 1 apprentice the second one worked his way in try it and good luck let us know how you get on

Interesting read..

I did 9 months voluntary and was taken on full time last May , try firms that do industrial , commercial and retail

Good Luck
Kelve[/u][/b]

Hello John

Interesting read..

I did 9 months voluntary and was taken on full time last May , try firms that do industrial , commercial and retail

Good Luck
Kelve[/u][/b]
No he didn't.

I must apologise.. I actually did a year voluntary and was taken on on July 5th :rolleyes:

I must apologise.. I actually did a year voluntary and was taken on on July 5th :rolleyes:
And the reason for the :rolleyes: was what, exactly?

Do you think it's OK to mess up quotes, and that you shouldn't be pulled up for it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back