Archbishop doesn't apologise for bombing Dresden...

Sponsored Links
We already did when nobody was looking!

Who owns most of our utility companies?

Who owns the steel industry?

Who owns most of the vehicle manufacturing?

Who owns our largest airports?

Who owns the railways companies?

If the Archbishop HAD apologised for the Dresden bombing, then what he would have wanted is a good, hard punch on the nose!

Between 1939 and 1945 there was a saying "The only good German is a dead 'un". Those Krautish bastards did everything they could to break the British resolve, bombs, V1 and V2 rockets, whatever they could muster.

Why we did not annihilate Krautland in 1945 I do not know, renaming German to Austrian and making the language of Germany English (or else)! Perhaps a good analogy of what SHOULD have happened id the Roman sacking of Carthage.

On a slightly different matter, if the allies had listened to Churchill, he wanted to destroy Stalin (who he despised as a commie-version of Adolf Hitler) and the Communists and liberate the USSR. If we had listened to him, how different things would be now.

On a slightly different matter, if the allies had listened to Churchill, he wanted to destroy Stalin (who he despised as a commie-version of Adolf Hitler) and the Communists and liberate the USSR. If we had listened to him, how different things would be now.

The Germans couldn't bet the Russians, so there's no way we could have. And don't forget that by then we were virtually bankrupt. Even with America, I'm not sure it would have been possible.

Sponsored Links
Maybe he would have preferred by being quoted as saying ''Entschuldigung für die britische Bombardierung von Dresden während des zweiten Weltkrieges'' :rolleyes:

More civilians died 13/14 February in Dresden than died in the Blitz in this Country . Plus the fact that the war was almost over, the High Command knew that

No, it was total war - either them or us.

Dresden was bombed as it was a major railway link, and would have enabled troops to escape the Russians more easily. Bombing it was an attempt to stop the troops moving back west.

Like most people here. I'm sick and tired of all this apologetic rubbish.

And, if you read the briefing notes to the RAF crews, it was a warning to Russia of what the RAF & USAF were capable of.

Maybe he would have preferred by being quoted as saying ''Entschuldigung für die britische Bombardierung von Dresden während des zweiten Weltkrieges'' :rolleyes:
Hmm, not half as sorry as the citizens of Dresden were 70 yrs ago. ;) ;)

PS , somehow I can't see the Americans apologising for the daytime bombing of Dresden. ;) ;)

There were some very moving interviews on BBC 5Live over the last few days. A couple of them were from British POWs in Dresden at the time of the raid,as well as veterans of the raid ; and civilians who were in Britain at the time .

Very thought provoking, and hard to put yourself in those circumstances. One man who did not laugh for forty years afterwards. Children whose fathers never spoke about it. We are so lucky to have lived after them.

I'm not sure where the line is drawn here. Churchill distanced himself pretty quickly from Harris. It seems the bombing was a revenge attack rather than a strategic one. The servicemen called it 'spiteful'.

Sending a message to Stalin, shortening the war all factors but I don't put this one on the same level as the Bombs on Japan, which were worse in human terms but more easily justifiable on military terms.

Did Coventry justify Dresden. Is there a moral equivalence between Hilter and the Allies?

It is possible to condemn the raid without condemning those who carried it out.in fact we owe it to our servicemen to examine what is done in order to help ensure that the next generation of them are not scarred by what they are ordered to do.

I'm not sure apologies are best here, but acknowledgment is often more useful.

Sadly, discussion of historical issues often seems to consist of people falling back to default positions without much reflection or consideration.

Terrible times

More civilians died 13/14 February in Dresden than died in the Blitz in this Country . Plus the fact that the war was almost over, the High Command knew that

But Churchill's views on bombing raids like this was that they should be stopped. Do you disagree with Churchill in this case. Was he wrong?

Questioning an event in the war is not the same as questions the entire war or the people who served.

Sponsored Links
Back