Are these cables safe? PAT tester says not....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so some background here, i work in a college and across our estate we have 4000+ desktop computers and at least 3000+ are connected to the mains using what we call a Y splitter cable, 13amp plugtop to 2 x IEC female. Mr PAT tester has today said they are all unsafe as the plug is fitted with a 13amp fuse when in fact it should be a 5amp and every cable needs the plug fuse changing. I have attached a pic of an example cable, we have many different makes/styles in use but they all have 13amp fuses as that what they came with, they have also been passed as safe each time when tested previously so I'm not sure what has changed if anything. I notice the splitter and IEC connectors are rated at 10A so perhaps this is why, yet why hasn't this been flagged up previously and why are they sold/supplied with 13amp fuses!? We have used the same firm for testing appliances for a long while now so its not as if its a new company trying to make a quick buck.

Could you guys take a look at the picture and confirm or deny what the guy is saying? I have a meeting with him tomorrow morning so any info would be really useful as to change all those fuses is going to cost us a significant amount of money so i would like be be certain either way before we proceed.

Many thanks in advance guys.
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_6906.jpg
    IMG_6906.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 292
Sponsored Links
1mm² cable rated 10A and the IEC C13/14 also rated 10A so being pedantic he could claim all the 13A fuses need changing to 10A, there are some of those leads with 0.75mm² cable which is rated at 6A and 0.5mm² cable is rated at 3A so I suspect that the guy has been told that the 0.5mm² cable needs a 3A fuse and he has not noticed the ones you picture use 1mm² cable.

Sponsored Links
I concur with Ericmark. The cable is 1.0mm², so the fuse must be *no greater than* 10A, which is the current carrying capacity of the cable. I daresay the previous PAT men worked to the to the maxim of "if expected load more than 3A fit 13A" which dates back to the time when they changed from 2A, 5A 10A & 13A fuses back in the 1960s. (IIRC 2A was red, 5A black, 10A yellow and 13A brown) In my opinion, it is best practice to install the most suitable fuse for the cable and the anticipated load. Others will say the anticipated load is unimportant, the fuse is there to protect the cable.

Going on to EFLI's comment, I have noticed that the new kettles tend to have 0.75mm² flex fitted, even though the kettle may be 2.2KW. However, I am prepared to accept that the manufacturers (e.g. Bosch) have tested their product, and the length of time the kettle is switched on is insufficient to cause excessive overheating of the flex. I therefore check that a 10A fuse is installed and issue a PAT pass, with a note on the testing record. (Note that these kettles are "for domestic use only" and thus placing in an office environment is contrary to the manufacturers instructions)

What happens when the kettle doesn't switch OFF, as my one doesn't.

What happens when the kettle doesn't switch OFF, as my one doesn't.
It eventually boils dry and either trips out on the internal temperature safety trip or melts the kettle base to destruction and possibly fire.

Are you suggesting your kettle doesn't have an auto switch or are you knowingly using a defective item.

Manufacturers fit 13A fuses in plugtops as a matter of course, where the csa of the lead is 0.75 or above.

But the regs say 0.75 should be fused at 6A.

I don't know of any high-current (>10A) appliances using that style of connector.

Manufacturers fit 13A fuses in plugtops as a matter of course, where the csa of the lead is 0.75 or above. But the regs say 0.75 should be fused at 6A.
We've been through all this before. It would appear that Table 2 of BS1363-1 allows a 0.75mm² flex to be protected by a 13A BS1362 plug fuse if the flex is no more than 2m in length and the plug is a non-rewirable (i.e. moulded) one [see Note (c) below ] ....

full

Kind Regards, John

I took your comment, "we've been through all this before" to mean that you understood the reasoning behind the difference of opinions.

I took your comment, "we've been through all this before" to mean that you understood the reasoning behind the difference of opinions.
Oh, I see. No, I merely meant that we have previously discussed some people's assertions that to have a 13A BS1362 fuse protecting 0.75mm² cable is "not allowed" (or "not compliant"), but have unearthed that Table in BS1363-1 which indicates that, in some circumstances, that can be compliant with BS1363-1.

Those who claim that it is "non-compliant" are presumably thinking of BS7671. However, as I understand it, the scope of BS7671 does not extend beyond the fixed wiring (i.e. the BS1363 socket concerned), so not relevant.

As for what difference a moulded plug makes, goodness only knows. They are perhaps thinking that that means that it has been fitted by a manufacturer, but I don't really see what the relevance of that might be. It seems that if one cut off the moulded plug and re-connected a re-wirable one, it would no longer be compliant to have a 13A fuse in it - and I can't see the electrical sense in that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back