Are Wylex C. U.'s with rewireable fuses still legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Forum,
A relative of mine recently had a new kitchen fitted and when the electrician came to move some sockets and fit low voltage lights, he said that the consumer unit ( Wylex rewireable) had to be changed and the gas and water had to be bonded. I can understand the bonding but did the C.U. need to be changed. There was room in it for 2 additional circuits not that, that was required.
Thanks,
Papabob

Sponsored Links
Basically without getting into the finer technicallities, not really.

It is now a requirement that every socket outlet, and the majority of all standard domestic wiring must have RCD protection.

Whilst there are ways to re-use the existing CU, and the time and expense this takes, it really is not worth it, considering it will not cost huge amounts more to swap out the whole unit.

It also has the benifit of offering this additional protection to the rest of the installation too.

Thanks RF,

It is now a requirement that every socket outlet, and the majority of all standard domestic wiring must have RCD protection.
With reference to your above quote, Does this mean new work or do every person have to upgrade their home irrespective?
Thanks,
Papabob

No, this only applies to new installations and additions.

The regulations are not retrospective.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Forum,
A relative of mine recently had a new kitchen fitted and when the electrician came to move some sockets
He could use Ali-tube cable and RCD sockets
and fit low voltage lights,
Again Ali-tube cable
he said that the consumer unit ( Wylex rewireable) had to be changed
533.1.1.2 Fuses having fuse-links likely to be removed or replaced by persons other than instructed persons or skilled persons shall be of a type which complies with the safety requirements of BS 88. As with most of regulations it is not retrospective so could not fit a new one but can continue to use old one.
and the gas and water had to be bonded. I can understand the bonding but did the C.U. need to be changed. There was room in it for 2 additional circuits not that, that was required.
Thanks,
Papabob
It is very time consuming for an electrician to sit down with some one and explain why all factors considered it would be better to fit a new consumer unit. And many tell half truth to have an easy life. Also there are many that don't read the regulations themselves but just listen to what others say. The regulations do take some reading as they are designed for factory, office etc as well as domestic.

Although there are ways to avoid changing the consumer unit I would think it would be far better to change it and have the added protection it gives.

I am glad I have RCD protection on all circuits. Since fitted around 1990 it has tripped out quite a few times with just cause and had I not fitted them my son may not have been able to become an electrician as he did make a good few mistakes while at school and studying for his RAE exam.

Thanks RF,

With reference to your above quote, Does this mean new work or do every person have to upgrade their home irrespective?
Thanks,
Papabob
RF didn't write that.

When you clicked on Preview to check before submitting, did it look right to you? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back