Asda tills

I think Harry has me on ignore as he is not addressing the "social control" aspect of putting your entire wealth at the mercy of someone else.
It's not unusual to put your money into a 'Fund' to be managed by the Fund Manager.
It's not unusual to put your trust in your accountant.

Will somebody have a word with him please? Mention China, where this kind of control is (allegedly) actually happening.
It's also happening in UK, and many advanced countries, e.g, credit rating, driving licence and medical records (insurance premiums), shopping habits (vouchers etc offers), etc.

"Misinformation" = left-wing word for right-wing politics.
Misinformation = false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive.
It's apolitical.
For you, misinformation probably does mean anything left of Genghis Khan.

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual to put your money into a 'Fund' to be managed by the Fund Manager.
It's not unusual to put your trust in your accountant.
Correct, but those people cannot withhold your money without legal reason and certainly cannot withhold it because they disagree with your opinions; what you might want the money for or if you've driven over the speed limit.

Also, the majority don't use funds, trusts and accountants; the majority have their money in cash and cash deposits or savings.

Correct, but those people cannot withhold your money without legal reason and certainly cannot withhold it because they disagree with your opinions; what you might want the money for ..
Have you tried paying in or withdrawing, or even moving a large amount of money recently?
Questions about where it came from, where it's going, why do you want it, etc.
Then there's the all too frequent "Security/Fraud/Money Laundering Checks" for accounts with a large balance.

Then if a bank wants to "hold onto your money" you eventually have to go to the Ombudsman to regain access to it. You can only do that after you've been through the bank's own complaint procedure.
Then there's the £80,000 limit to contend with.

Sponsored Links
As regards lane swimming, there are three lanes. I go in the slow lane because I'm not quick enough for the others and would hold people up.

There seems to be no limit on the numbers in lanes.

Have you tried paying in or withdrawing, or even moving a large amount of money recently?
Then there's the £80,000 limit to contend with.
I'm not talking about moving large amounts of money; also the majority of Britons do not have anything approaching £80,000.

Social Control / Social Credit is about using the restriction of everyday and short-term spending money as punishment; whereby, for instance, if you don't agree with this week's mad idea about transvestites / vaccines / immigrants you will not be allowed do your shopping or pay your gas bill. An extreme scenario I know, but it serves to answer Harry's question about "tracking".

Social Control / Social Credit is about using the restriction of everyday and short-term spending money as punishment; whereby, for instance, if you don't agree with this week's mad idea about transvestites / vaccines / immigrants you will not be allowed do your shopping or pay your gas bill. An extreme scenario I know,
So extreme and unbelievable as to serve no purpose whatsoever.
I might as well use the example of the moon turning into a sun. :rolleyes:

but it serves to answer Harry's question about "tracking".
If it's so extreme and unreal, it serves no purpose.

A Luddite! I think I am several years older and I grabbed both cards when they came out, then contactless, then phone payments. I rarely use cash any more, why would anyone want to?
It's so angry little gammons like trans can have their 5 minutes worth. They call them 'Karens' in the USA. Trans is your typical Karen.

you and probably most on here wouldn’t eat chicken, pork, lamb or beef if you had to carry out the slaughter and butchery.
It is indeed one of the chief reasons I stopped eating meat several years ago; giving someone £4.50 in return for them treating a chicken like crap for 6 weeks then killing it, is torture with murder for hire. I wouldn't slit a cow's throat and watch it bleed out in front of me, so why pay someone else to do it in secret? It's also deeply hypocritical to sit there stuffing a steak into one's face while saying something like "they should ban fox hunting, it's barbaric" or "yep, I'll make my monthly donation to the RSPCA just as soon as I've finished my Nando's.

Research is showing a leading cause of poor health in western countries is a diet high in animal proteins; long story short, meat gives you cancer. Anecdotally, since I switched to eating plants I have more energy, I don't feel anywhere near as sluggish, I weigh less and I don't have creaking aches and pains that were always passed off as "getting old". I don't get ill anywhere near as intensely or for as long as I did before, and I don't miss any part of eating meat and dairy - all the meat ever really did was carry the flavour of plants. Few people sit down to a piece of flavourless steamed chicken day in, day out - the interesting, flavoursome part of a lamb rogan josh or chicken sweet and sour, is the rogan josh/sweet n sour part, and they're plants. I was paying a huge amount of money for flavour carriers, and it was all needless and seemingly detrimental to my health

I have never given to charities collecting on the street, nor to individuals sitting in corners with a dog. It is just far too easy to be a fake collector.
My last charity donation was via a faceid authorised donation from apple pay on my phone to a portable payment terminal the collector had with them. I'd actually prefer that, because I can track where the money goes and if it's not going to the intended charity, it can be flagged that it's disappearing into someone's pocket.

I think I saw payment terminals in screwfix for £30; it was something like 1.5% fee of everything put through them goes to the owner of it. Beggars will probably adapt

I wouldn't slit a cow's throat and watch it bleed out in front of me, so why pay someone else to do it in secret?
It’s not really 'in secret', just out of sight. I take it you treat your own sewage before disposal then or do you pay someone else to treat and dispose of it 'in secret' for you?

Last edited:
Don't use them. At my former and longest employer, I was part of a project which reduced or removed 'manned' tills in around 700 stores (at the time this was around 25-30% of the estate), while growing the self-service footprint. As a result, there were redundancies large enough to make national news.

Every transaction is logged so they know which were generated by self-serve or staff. Those figures go directly head office who determine future growth of them.

The till operators don't just work the tills, they move stock around and keep the store going and their wages bring tax and NI. I don't mind queuing a bit to help keep people in work.

The till operators don't just work the tills, they move stock around and keep the store going and their wages bring tax and NI. I don't mind queuing a bit to help keep people in work.

I have no view either way, other than never having used a self service till. Nowhere I go regularly has the tills, and I do appreciate a pleasant exchange with the till operators anyway. I would like to see more staff in the isles, for those times when I am struggling to find an item.

One time in Tesco, where there was a choice, the manual tills were empty of customers and the self service queueing. Another time I tried to use the self service, but couldn't make head nor tail of it, so had to call for help.

I have no view either way, other than never having used a self service till. Nowhere I go regularly has the tills, and I do appreciate a pleasant exchange with the till operators anyway. I would like to see more staff in the isles, for those times when I am struggling to find an item.

One time in Tesco, where there was a choice, the manual tills were empty of customers and the self service queueing. Another time I tried to use the self service, but couldn't make head nor tail of it, so had to call for help.

Yes it is good to talk. We walk down to the local Co-op on the odd Sunday afternoon and got to know a few of them -- makes life a bit more pleasant! Although Co-op's distribution of staff tends to be 90% on the shop floor and 10% on the tills!

At the moment, so many queue at self-service blindly (and after trying to park as close to the front door as possible), that it's quicker for me to park right near the exit, walk in, use the queue-less manned till and walk to the car and leave.

Sponsored Links
Back