Asian Tsunami

Twas Phuket first, travelling on the 26th - just hope it was late enough.
Due back in BKK NYEve. Then Hua Hin.
P

Sponsored Links
I hope they are safe too. This is the first forum i've really become attached to and is more like a local community with some great characters.

Igorian said:
I hope they are safe too. This is the first forum i've really become attached to and is more like a local community with some great characters.

Here, here...

Can anyone grasp the kind of numbers they are talking here? (equiv town population?) Not trying to be insensitive, just when you reach these sorts of figures I cannot comprehend it all?

I'm sure I remember watching a documentry on Tsunami's before, and they reckoned that we were due for another big one? I think that they had written accounts of a very early one where people had witnessed the sea disappearing before then rushing in.

I will say though, it's nice to see the humanity showing through, like it does during times like these...

There is the possibility of a potential 'local' disaster
What will happen when the volcano on La Palma collapses?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2000/mega_tsunami.shtml

Apparently the sea appears to recede when the 'trough' of a wave arrives before the 'crest' .... At least that is what I remember from Geography !
Perhaps today, too many people are living in potentially dangerous areas ? Witness our own flooding problems.
P

Sponsored Links
Scientists have now also found, after this tsunami, that the earth has shrunk a little bit and is now spinning 0.03 microseconds per day faster.
Also the earths ax has changed position with 2,5 cm.

We are wondering what kind of effects this will have on global weather patterns.
Ice-age? Deserts? Tropical rainforests in Europe?

WoodYouLike said:
Scientists have now also found, after this tsunami, that the earth has shrunk a little bit and is now spinning 0.03 microseconds per day faster.

That explains why I was so dizzy over Christmas! :confused:

WoodYouLike said:

We are wondering what kind of effects this will have on global weather patterns.
Although it doesn't sound a great deal 0.03 microseconds, i wonder if this has affected the geostationary positions of satellites such as GPS which are very time critical and therefore affect their accuracy?

kendor said:
WoodYouLike said:

Although it doesn't sound a great deal 0.03 microseconds, i wonder if this has affected the geostationary positions of satellites such as GPS which are very time critical and therefore affect their accuracy?

They are adjusted anyway, so business as usual I think.

I guess that's why i was getting such a poor GPS signal yesterday(still adjusting) and full strength today? more to do with atmospherics i'm sure although there's quite a lot of cloud cover today aswell

The 10th is proposed return day for D&J ... fingers crossed folks !!

P

Thankyou all very much for your concerns.

Just got back home(7-00pm) and we are both OK, mind you talk about lucky. We were going from Bangkok to Phuket at 10-30 am on the day the problems started. We were just boarding the plane when they cancelled the flight. The hotel we were going too was on Patong beach too!

We are going to have an early night because the flight was a real killer, so I will come back on tomorrow to see who I can wind up. :LOL:

fing10_25376.gif

david and julie said:
I will come back on tomorrow to see who I can wind up. :LOL:
Oh well, back to normal then ! Phew, welcome back........

Excellent news, welcome back, now we can start with the silly jokes again!

Sponsored Links
Back