Asian Tsunami

some good news then, in an otherwise dismal unwelcome and sad situation, here's hoping for more good news from over there such as the little girl reunited with her dad and the man who survived 13 days under rubble.

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Twas Phuket first, travelling on the 26th - just hope it was late enough.
Due back in BKK NYEve. Then Hua Hin.
P

Thanks be, it was 'late enough !!'

Sorry 'bout the 'tec work ---- 'twas like a nightmare unfolding -- almost script for a disaster movie !!

Anyway, breaking out the Scotch now and drinking a relieved tumbler to D&J !! :)

BTW .. Get on the lottery this week -- you could be on a roll ;)

Sponsored Links
no.gif
Now, don't ever do that again! You had us all worried sick! Go to your room - no tea for you, I want you both to think about what you've done!

Suprising how much you can worry about someone you've never met or spoken too?

Glad you're both back safe and sound!
hug.gif

A little aside ( as if !) When travelling from the far East (SuanaPore) we found it best to leave (if possible) early-ish am THEIR time.
Arriving UK at approx 7-30 pm THEIR time, around midday OUR time, with almost no, apparent jet lag. Only the after effects from spending 13 hrs in a fart filled cylinder...... ;)

Pipme...no I had no problems with you quoting the phuket forum, bit different from this one though! Have a read of one of our last chats on it.

http://www.phuket-info.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4702

We only go on it because most of the people are really helpful, however they can get a bit upset if you comment about their lifestyles when on holiday. Overall though they are an helpful bunch like us lot on here.

The flight to Phuket from Bangkok was our second and was an internal one which takes about an hour. We had an option of leaving at 9-00 or 10-30 am, we chose the later one because we went out for a drink the night before and didn't want to get up really early.

Looking back the final flight home was the funniest. The plane was really hot on the way there and didn't have individual eyeball type vents, so we decided to keep our shorts and jesus creepers on for the return trip. The airport was heaving and we were dreading the flight, Julie asked about upgrading to business class and got it for £200 each. I know our monies the same but we felt a right pair of scruffy bl**ders in the lounges! to make matters worse Julie was ill on the flight and honked up!

Happy days eh!... still we enjoyed the change but its good to be home even though its colder.

Once again thanks very much for all your kind thoughts it is very nice of you all. :LOL:

Yep !! saw that too ! Bit concerned about referencing it on DIY site, if you get my drift .... ;)
Nice to give 'em a bit of a 'gee up' .... I hope the travellers on that site made it through, too.
;) ;)

We were going from Bangkok to Phuket at 10-30 am on the day the problems started. We were just boarding the plane when they cancelled the flight. The hotel we were going too was on Patong beach too!

No, I think D&J missed it.

My son and his fiancee went out to Thailand on Boxing Day. They were going to go to Krabi but changed their plans when they arrived and found out what had happened. Could have been a different story if they'd gone before Christmas - doesn't bear thinking about really.

kendor said:
some good news then, in an otherwise dismal unwelcome and sad situation, here's hoping for more good news from over there such as the little girl reunited with her dad and the man who survived 13 days under rubble.

Didn't I read somewhere that they suspect this guy was a looter. :(

Hadn't heard that? Mind you, the first reports normally get it wrong.

Can't remember which rag it was so cannot verify. Seem to recall that doctors assessed that his injuries / general condition were not consistent with spending 13 days trapped in debris. Could be a hideous slur though. I must say the images still coming through are appalling but I wish for 2 things.

1) That other crisises are not forgotten. The recent cease fire in the Sudanese civil war does NOT apparently include the Dafur region.

2) The crisis that continues in asia is not a 9 (ok now a 16) day wonder.

Hope Carlisle isn't too badly hit tonight either. Lets hope that ruddy super volanco under Yellowstone park doesn't decide to go off any time soon!

Great to have you back. Everyone here was very concerned. Happy new year.

Ian

No I didn't see it, Hua Hin and Bangkok are about an hours flight from Phuket. To be honest most news was in Thai anyway except the American channels which were too pro-US to be of any use. This is the first time we have not had the BBC world service whilst on holiday.

I noticed thermo's comments about Tony Blair and his holidays. I didn't know that and I am amazed he didn't jump on the bandwagon as usual. Perhaps he was giving Bush a go this time instead.

One thing that did suprise me though was at the(Bangkok) airport, we expected to see somewhere to make a donation but couldn't find anything. The usual odd change box for kids charities was there but nothing Phuket specific.

Sponsored Links
Back