Assist a British Gas 'engineer'?

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi there,

A little background first - a friend of mine moved into a house about a year ago into which the previous owners had had installed a combi boiler not too long before the sale. A Wickes jobby made by halstead - so probably a cheap pile of poo. I'd noticed at the time the pressure guage reading a little low (about 0.8-0.9bar) but we couldn't locate a filling loop with a quick look around the boiler, and since it was working we left it alone. He had a Corgi guy round shortly after that to fit a room stat/controller as the mechanical clock on the boiler didn't seem to work. He also didn't adjust the CH fill pressure.

Fast forward to the other day when the boiler wouldn't ignite. I popped round and immediately noticed the pressure guage almost empty so thought that could be the problem. With a more thorough search than a year ago we found a filling loop attachment partially obscured by the bathroom radiator (the room above the kitchen where the boiler was installed) so we filled to around 1.5bar. Boiler still wont go though :(.

Symptoms are when you reset it, it appears to complete the self test OK, then fires up. As soon as it has fired up, pressure guage winds up in seconds to around 3bar, you can hear boilling (I think) and even a bit of creaking and groaning, then it shuts down and gives the overheat error code. Perhaps as if there is no flow so the small amount of water in the boiler heats up rapidly and boils, we thought? Though if you create the demand to fire up after the self test with hot water rather than the CH it does the same thing even though water is clearly flowing through the boiler and out the tap.

Knowing our limits he decides to call british gas - he has some sort of policy thingy where they supposedly come and repair for about £100 quid fixed fee including parts. The guy turns yesterday morning (I wasn't there). Sounds like he banged the pump with a hammer and declared it kaput because that didn't fix it, and the circuit board for good measure. Turned up this morning to fit the new parts (pump and circuit board) and no joy. I'm not sure (again i wasn't there) if the problem is different now or the same as before, but seems he's declared the new circuit board faulty and I think is coming back tomorrow.

Anyway - sorry for the long winded explanation! I was wondering if any of the knowledgable folk on here might have any other ideas we might politely suggest if he's still clueless :) I've heard some bad things on here about some British Gas guys so I'm worried he's maybe a numpty throwing parts at the problem with his fingers crossed, though to be fair I can't really make that judgment as i haven't met the guy, and his 'tactics' at least on the first day seem reasonable to my untrained self, to give him the benefit of the doubt. I just have the feeling he'll be unable to find the fault, and write off the boiler which will mean a replacement certainly not covered by this policy of my mate's.

Any clever ideas much appreciated. Cheers,

Liam

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

Maybe it wasn't clear enough in my post (now edited) - pump declared kaput and replaced along with circuit board and still not working. One would assume he'd correctly bleed/refil etc etc?...

Will try and post model number tonight. It's a halstead 24kW combi not more than a few years old.

Liam

Sponsored Links
cant see it being the pump or pcb due to the fact it ran initially but shut itself down after firing up (Pump must run to fire burner), at a worse guess from your post it will be an airlock in system (would have been the first thing i tried anyway).
Bleed all rads starting downstairs working up, bleed pump and if there is an auto air vent on top of boiler open that as well.

Check AAV is ok

Edit,sorry nogoogatfaultfinding,just noticed you suggested that as well

willing to bet ya mate hasn't got a policy with bg as he's having to pay a 100 quid to have it repaired! sounds like he gets his gas and electric off um so he gets a discount on a on call assistance.

willing to bet ya mate hasn't got a policy with bg as he's having to pay a 100 quid to have it repaired! sounds like he gets his gas and electric off um so he gets a discount on a on call assistance.

Willing to bet you are 100% spot on and that i now feel a complete idiot for missing that detail!!

Well turns out it was the PCB afterall. The reason the new PCB still didn't work was because the BG guy hadn't pressed the reset button after fitting it! Apparently he phoned Wickes and they suggested he do this :D

All working now. Cheers for the help.

Liam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back