Astracast ROK sink - Avoid like the plague

if they are in line with each other, this might suggest that the worktop bows at some point or that there is less sealant etc at some points..
this would cause the sink to flex when loaded with water / washing up on the drainer etc..

Sponsored Links
I have just put a spirit level on the sink and the worktops and they are both level. I have put pics of the cracks in my album, i don't know how to post a pic in this reply.[/img]

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
maybe this site needs a rogue manufacturers section listing all the scum who won't honour warranties

lets see the serial offenders!!

the list so far

Astracast Sinks
Ideal Boilers
........ awaiting further names!!

name and shame them all!!

Hello

For anyone who followed my story here is the resolution.

I emailed Astracast my claim with the photos and they admitted 'the sink looked like a reject and should never have left the factory, however customers who buy from ebay are not covered by the warranty' (WHAT!?) Their reason was they couldn't verify the source of the goods from the seller or in other words whether they were dodgy rejects being sold off.

I contacted trading standards about this and they told me that I can either contact the seller who is obliged to help claim a replacement or to pursue Astracast directly. As I felt the seller was innocent in all this Astracast were being very dismissive, I decided to continue to crusade against Astracast directly. The emailing continued on for a couple more weeks as I provided evidence that the seller was a limited company only for them to ignore it and instead make pathetic offers for a replacement sink with something like a 10% discount off rrp. I was told by TS to inform them that since 2007 (i think) manufacturers are now bound to their warranty terms and that this ebay exclusion clause in not stated on the warranty card. As they have admitted the goods were faulty already in writing this leaves them in a very weak position legally and they should do the right thing and honour the warranty.

The turning point for me was a good old fashioned legal threat. If you find they remain defiant and stubbornly refuse to honour the warranty, insist on having your enquiry forwarded to a senior member of staff and include (or threaten as I did) to complete a small claims court form against them claiming for cost of replacement sink, labour for installation and removal, cost of claim form and any other inconvenience costs i.e. £500-600 total. This brought a manager to their senses and I settled for a replacement sink delivered free with £30 installation costs (once I submit an invoice).

They seem to try every trick in the book to avoid honouring the warranty so please be warned ask trading standards for advice and don't be scared to threaten them with the law.

Once this is sorted you should email them a link to this thread, so they can see what their rubbish service is doing for their reputation. I often get asked for recommendations for sinks and brassware for kitchen and bathroom equipment that people want me to fit and I'm sure I'm not the only one reading this who will be wary of this manufacturer in the future.

I too will advise friends, relatives and possible future customers of the dangers of dealing with astracast. The real question is why the factory reject wasn't destroyed in the first place - they should have looked into whoever it was that was selling this faulty product on.

In my experience and in fairness, the intermediate supplier said he had sold hundreds of astracast sinks and had no problem. However many potential complaints would probably have gone directly to Astracast as they had supplied the warranty card and is most peoples first port of call. As he was a limited company I had no reason to suspect he was sourcing faulty goods but maybe I shouldn't be trusting my preconceptions of a limited company so easily.

So, these rejects came from astracast with a warranty card? :confused: Hmm, I see - like I said, they should be looking at an internal enquiry rather than upsetting customers.

Just spoke to Astracast today and a rather rude person accused me of damaging the sink, I was told that the sinks are fully tested before leaving Astracast. I was told that cracks don't just develop after 6 months, mine could have been there for ages but would have been covered by the basket. They must think that I wilfully and neglectfully knocked the back of the sink and then knocked the front of it to cause the cracks. Maybe they think I have gone off it and want a different one, not possible because it would mean new worktops as there is no other sink this long. I was offered another sink at a reduced price, why would they do that if it was not a manufacturing defect? Why would I want another crappy sink from them and pay for the priviledge.

Received letter from Astracast today, on the letterhead it states that they are a division of Jacuzzi and they answer the phone Jacuzzi. They write that their opinion is that the damage is indicative of impact/third party damage and is not covered under the terms of the guarantee. Does a sink have to turn pink or explode before if is covered as they will deny it is a manufacturing defect.
My sink has not been damaged whilst in my home, there are no chips/marks from impact. The sink looks really appealing, feels like a quality material, but it is not I can assure you.
I was more shocked about the customer services manner and attitude which took me completely by surprise. I know it has not been damaged and thought that Astracast would see that but they accused me of causing the damage.
I will warn everyone whom I can about the Rok sink but more importantly advise what the customer services are like.
I am planning a new bathroom in the extension and hoped to get a Jacuzzi bath, I daren't touch their overpriced and over-rated goods now. It costs a lot to have a plumber install the goods and I would be devastated to have another problem and no support and to be supplied with what should be rejected.
My supplier is not happy with Astracast either and I know they will provide me with a new sink, but I will be worrying about it happening again even with the utmost care that I have shown this one.
PLEASE BE AWARE.

Oh God,
Just as I thought my problems with Asracast were over - I am now looking forward to further problems in a years time !
I ordered a sink and had it fitted and about a week or two later I noticed hairline cracks in the same place as you, but also over the ridge between the full bowl and the half bowl.
I contacted Astracast and got the same response as you.
As a "good will gesture" they sent me out a new sink.When my plumber went to fit it (after having taken my old sink out) we discovered that it was the wrong sink (left hand drainer instead of right hand) !
They sent a replacement sink out - it was cracked in the same place as yours. They sent another sink out - it was completely smashed.Another one was despatched - it was marked. They sent another one special delivery and it is fitted and looks great SO FAR!
Astracast arranged for someone to pick up the two spare sinks (two having already been taken to the dump) - they didn't turn up. Phone call after phone call and Astracast have now responded (after I threatened to take them to small claims court for the inconvenience of having to wait in for all these deliveries etc) and I was pleasantly surprised at the reply.
They have offered to pay my plumbers bill (up to a reasonable amount) and have offered me some money for my inconvenience too and also I can keep or dispose of the two sinks that I still have.
Anyone want to buy a ROC GEO 1 1/2 bowl LHD in sahara beige or a slightly marked RHD one ? No takers ?
Good luck...

I don't know what the desire for these sinks is. My mum hated her sink as it was always showing scuff marks if pans or anything touched the surface. She is OCD and kitchen always looks like the one in the first photo of this thread. :LOL: In the end I fitted a Franke stainless steel sink.

I'm surprised if they have such a long guarantee and then always try and say its customers who have damaged it.

Astracast have now sent me a new sink out, I have to collect it from where I purchased it. They have checked it over and say it is ok, but so was my other when it was fitted, I am not confident that this will not soon have these cracks after hearing there are so many other faulty ones............
They only sent me a new one because the shop put the pressure on. The sink is not a standard size, it is quite large and difficult to find another to fit in the hole. If I ever want to change worktops then I will get a different sink (Stainless Steel) and send this one to the tip with the other. The cracks have not spread much yet and as it is in the middle drainer section it is not yet leaking. I am now reluctant to pay for the plumber to re-fit the new one if it is going to happen again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back