ATOS Medical Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The name of the game is getting people onto means tested benefits.

Sponsored Links
The "medical " assessment entails the "Dr" asking you lots of questions in which your answers are fed into a software program.

This program then awards points and makes a lot of assumptions.

E.g can you hoover for 10 mins? If you answer yes then it is assumed you have no mobility or bending problems.

Can you use a bath? answer yes and it assumes you are fit and able to do other bending etc.

Do you go to the supermarket? answer yes and the dr assumes you can walk around the supermarket and stand up for long periods with no problem.

You now have to be completely paraplegic to be found unfit to work! :LOL:

The CAB is inundated with people who thought they were excused for life from working and are now being cajoled through the system to do SOME work! :LOL:

Also, the ignoring of medical history is just stupid. How can a proper assessment fail to take account of the history of the conditions the person is suffering from?"

What has your medical condition six months ago got to do with whether you can work tomorrow? You have either been fixed or not - asking you what you can do today is the best way to find that out, not pay somebody a ridiculous amount of money to trawl through your notes.

You mean someone like you? At £18k a year - that's not too expensive is it? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Also, the ignoring of medical history is just stupid. How can a proper assessment fail to take account of the history of the conditions the person is suffering from?"

What has your medical condition six months ago got to do with whether you can work tomorrow? You have either been fixed or not - asking you what you can do today is the best way to find that out, not pay somebody a ridiculous amount of money to trawl through your notes.

I was on about ongoing medical conditions (if you can be bothered to read it properly) Not some medical condition that affected someone 6 months before.

the person who assessed my hubby was a joke and i can say that, she was awful.

there was a language barrier to start with and it was very difficult to understand her broken english, also wen we got a copy of the medical assessment which stated that he has scored 0 points, she had copied and pasted the same information in 7 different sections on the form.

It was madness, we didn't even get to tribunal, the decision was overturned during a review of the claim.

My hubby is a chef and until he gets his op, he is a liability in the kitchen, he wants to go back to work and his boss has said there is a job for him after his op(he works for a very big football club and has done for the last 15yrs)

Juliex

The reason behind all of this simple.
The default is to fail the claimant. It is then up to the CLAIMANT to prove that they are NOT fit for work, not the government to prove that they ARE fit for work. It shifts the burden of proof onto the claimant.

My hubby is a chef and until he gets his op, he is a liability in the kitchen, he wants to go back to work and his boss has said there is a job for him after his op(he works for a very big football club and has done for the last 15yrs)

Juliex

But,,, can he make toffee ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You can have an ongoing medical condition and the history is still completely irrelevant.

If you had a diagosis of epilepsy six months ago, which today is controlled with medication, your medical history prior to today is now irrelevant.

You have epilepsy today.
This disqualifies you from certain work.
It does not disqualify you from certain work. There are plenty of jobs you can carry out with epilepsy, in fact most epilepsy sufferers are productive members of society.

If you had a diagnosis of cancer six months ago, it was treated and you are now in remission, having had a diagnosisi of cancer six months ago is irrelevant. All that matters is what you can do today.

If you had a diagnosis of arthritis six months ago, and the arthritis has got worse in the last six months, your medical history is irrelevant. All that matters is what your arthritis allows you to do today.

geddit ?

you can only form a correct opinion from all information from all sources old and new
even old ailments seemingly in the past can be relevant at a later date as part off the overall picture

they don't want medical history as part off the process as this will stop the system they have put in place acheving the wrong result
and that result is no one on disability then having to fight to get what they deserve
they don't seem to care about the panic heartache and distress caused to the genuine as compasion and using the correct method costs money
i wonder how many deaths this will cause through worry suicide and further ill health brought on by the barbaric way its presented

Hey Chappy? You aren't a real doctor are you?

If a plasterer has a bad shoulder or a carpet fitter bad knees then those complaints may go away when they stop aggravating them - soon as they start work - they are back again.

I guess the fact that you are only earning £18k when your colleagues are earning £100k plus is the reason. You are just rubbish.

:mrgreen:

Don't be such a plum Joe.

Just because he cannot plaster that doesn't mean to say he isn't fit to do something else.

I cannot plaster either but I'm not on disability.

What a knob you are, and bitter with it.

Neither am I. What kind of training will he be offered? Zero - just get on to means tested benefit.
However, on that DAY he is considered fit - but when he goes back then he is UNFIT. Round and round it goes.

If you had a diagnosis of arthritis six months ago, and the arthritis has got worse in the last six months, your medical history is irrelevant. All that matters is what your arthritis allows you to do today.
The next problem would be that some employers are reluctant to employ them or take a chance because they fear difficulties arising in the workplace.

The next problem would be that some employers are reluctant to employ them or take a chance because they fear difficulties arising in the workplace.

Exactly. My partners oldest grandson has Cystic Fibrosis. At the age of 18 he failed the ATOS medical and so has to find a job. When he explains to prospective employers that he has to spend 3 weeks in hospital every 4 months, the interview is effectively over. The jobcentre are unsympathetic too. telling him he has x amount of months to find employment, otherwise he's on this course and that course. He jumps through all the hoops they put in front of him, and still his employment prospects are zero, due to his medical condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back