Attaching Dart Board to a Brick Wall, 'How to'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attaching Dart Board to a Brick Wall, 'How to' if the included items 'pictured' not appropriate?

upload_2020-4-5_9-5-33.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The bracket is fixed to the wall with two 6mm plastic plugs and the other fixing looks like it will screw into the back of the dartboard and allow it to hook into the bracket.....is that what you mean?
John :)

Trouble is, unless you are a very good shot, you are going to destroy the darts each and every time you miss the board and hit a brick. I said hit. ;) Can’t you put a sheet of ply or chipboard up first?

Thanks for your replies appreciated. Not a diyer myself, I was worried the screws included were not appropriate. I have some plastic plugs somewhere, cheap ones
Do I use a 6mm Masonry bit to drill into the brick, attach the bracket with two 6mm plastic plugs, and the simply 'slot' the dartboard with the middle screw attached, onto it?
There is a foam circular protective surround with the board, I have seen videos of much cleverer people than I, making a backing board out of pallet wood.
May get a joiner friend to make is one.
Thanks vey much for advice - Appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yep, you’ll need a hammer drill to drill two 6mm holes for the plugs. Drilling the brick is best but in this case the cement joint will probably do.
The screws in this case look ok, normally they are rubbish!
You may need a fine pilot hole to help you fix that special screw into the back of the dartboard - it depends on what its made from.

Thanks have a 'hammer' drill supposedly, just tried and the so called masonry bit went up the brickwork, and is now buckled
I have another one I could try. I have found Two more solid looking 8mm Screws that fit holes and some heavy duty plasplugs.
Accepts screw sizes 8,10,12 - Use Drill No14 7mm - I only have 6mm and 8mm masonry drill bits though.
are you supposed to use a drill bit that is ones size smaller than the plugs?
A fine pilot hole - what do I use to create one of those?
Much Appreciated B.T.W.

Hmm its a shame the correct drill has been damaged! Ideally if the bricks / blocks are soft and the drill starts to wander its a good idea to drill say a 5mm hole first, and then follow with a 6mm. You drill the hole deeper than the plug and then hammer it in.
The holes for your bracket are quite close together and I'm a bit concerned that the bricks may split if you use a larger drill....7mm will be to slack for a 6mm plug, 8mm will need an 8mm plug of course and maybe heavier screws than what you have there.
Why not try the 6mm drill on an area elsewhere, and see if you have a plug to fit - unless the 6mm drill is destroyed!
A pilot hole just guides the other screw into place and allows it to grip into the dartboard - a 3mm jobber drill is the way for this.

Thanks just tried with a 5mm bit, has made a hole a few mm into the brick and was smoking towards the end the drill bits I've got are rubbish.
Am gone purchase a decent drill and drill bits - any Recommendations appreciated.
Also do you always use one size smaller drill bit than the screw/plug you are using
I.E. if you have an 8mm plug/screw - you should use only a 7mm drill bit?

I use Bosch or Hilti bits but Erbauer from Screwfix will be fine for irregular use.
Start with a small hole and work up, using a 6mm bit for a 6mm plug and so on.
Use your drill on the hammer setting and press on hard. Short bursts are probably best to prevent overheating.

I have found Two more solid looking 8mm Screws that fit holes and some heavy duty plasplugs.
Accepts screw sizes 8,10,12 - Use Drill No14 7mm

Are you sure that they are 8mm screws? 8mm is massive. Did you measure the shank or the screw head?

A fine pilot hole - what do I use to create one of those?

In your photo it looks like the dart board has the holes for the fixing screws already. If so then no need to pilot.

Thanks have a 'hammer' drill supposedly, just tried and the so called masonry bit went up the brickwork, and is now buckled

After marking out the holes I normally use a screw and hammer to punch a tiny dent in the brick to stop the drill bit slipping.

BTW, if the bricks are extremely hard (eg engineering bricks) you will need to use an SDS drill.

Thanks just tried with a 5mm bit, has made a hole a few mm into the brick and was smoking towards the end the drill bits I've got are rubbish.
Am gone purchase a decent drill and drill bits - any Recommendations appreciated.
Also do you always use one size smaller drill bit than the screw/plug you are using
I.E. if you have an 8mm plug/screw - you should use only a 7mm drill bit?

Any chance of a pic of this smoking bit?

Are you sure that they are 8mm screws? 8mm is massive. Did you measure the shank or the screw head?

In your photo it looks like the dart board has the holes for the fixing screws already. If so then no need to pilot.

After marking out the holes I normally use a screw and hammer to punch a tiny dent in the brick to stop the drill bit slipping.

BTW, if the bricks are extremely hard (eg engineering bricks) you will need to use an SDS drill.
Well spotted regarding the pre drilled hole - if that’s what it is, and it sure looks like it (y)
I’d recommend the OP get one hole drilled and plugged, and then fix the bracket in place. He can then use the bracket to guide the drill for the next one.

Hi sorry should have made clear the 8mm Screws were lying about in the house already, I was just a bit concerned the supplied screws in photo would not be strong enough, that's all.
When I buy a decent drill will have another go with those pictured/supplied, it's a a garage brick wall and the cheap drill bits I had just buckled - will have a look for one of these SDS types - What exactly does SDS STAND for
Thanks Very Much to everyone for their Advice - Really is appreciated.

P.S. Tomorrow may build an extension :LOL:

Last edited:
the hammer drill you have is / should be sufficient

the drill bits you require is, they came with all useful bit sizes https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-multipurpose-drill-bit-set-4pcs/95958

i use these and except for concrete these go through everything, and i use them pretty much all the time. don't waste your money buying sds bits and an sds drill as these are items you will hardly ever use. not only that SDS drills aren't suited to accurate work like what you require.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back