Aw diddums this is why they can't get over it

Yes I did say that bent cucumbers and curved bananas were banned by an EU dictate. It was an error on my part. I should have been more precise and said that excessively bent cucumbers and excessively curved bananas were banned from retail sale to the general public. Food processing plants were allowed to process them provided they met certain other conditions of quality. There was not much use for them in processed foods so a large percentage of them did go to waste

Sponsored Links
Very pleased that you have modified your position. Can you show me the words "banned from sale?" I can't see them.

But what was all this for?

your stout assertion that the straight cucumber myth was true.

an extract from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:31988R1677 and then click on the PDF EN icon for the English text. The nice people at the EU also provide the document in 27 other languages

( note the bit I have highlighted in red )

B. Classification
Cucumbers are classed into the four classes defined below :
(i) 'Extra ' class
Cucumbers in this class must be of superior quality. They must have all the characteristics of the
variety.
They must :
— be well developed
— be well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc : 10 mm per 10 cm of
length of the cucumber)
— have a typical colouring for the variety
— be free of defects, including all deformations- and particularly those caused by seed formation.
(ii) Class I
Cucumbers in this class must be of good quality. They must :
— be reasonably developed
— be reasonably well shaped and practically straight (maximum height of the arc : 10 mm per
10 cm of the length of cucumber).

The following defects are allowed :
— a slight deformation, but excluding that caused by seed formation
— a slight defect in colouring, especially the light coloured part of the cucumber where it
touched the ground during growth
— slight skin blemishes due to rubbing and handling or low temperatures, provided that such
blemishes have healed and do not affect the keeping quality.
No L I 50/24 Official Journal of the European Communities 16. 6. 88
(iii) Class II :
This class includes cucumbers which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy
the minimum requirements specified above. However, they may have the following defects :
—- deformations other than serious seed development,
— defects in colouring up to one-third of the surface ; in the case of cucumbers grown under
protection,
considerable defects in colouring in the affected part are not allowed,
— healed cracks,
— slight damage caused by rubbing and handling which does not seriously affect the keeping
quality and appearance.
All the defects listed above are allowed for straight and slightly crooked cucumbers.
Oji the other hand, crooked cucumbers are allowed only if they have no more than slight defects
in colouring and have no defects or deformation other than crookedness.
Slightly crooked cucumbers may have a maximum height of the arc of 20 mm per 10 cm of
length of the cucumber.

Crooked cucumbers may have a greater arc and must be packed separately.
(iv) Class ///('):
This class includes cucumbers which do not qualify for inclusion in the higher classes but satisfy
the requirements specified for Class II. However, crooked cucumbers may have all the defects
allowed in Class II for straight and slightly crooked cucumbers and they must be packed separately.
III. PROVISIONS CONCERNING SIZING
Sizing is determined by the weight of the cucumber.
(i) Cucumbers grown in the open must weigh 180 g or more. Cucumbers grown under protection must
weigh 250 g or more.
(ii) Moreover, 'Extra' Class and Class I cucumbers grown under protection weighing :
— 500 g or more must be not less than 30 cm long,
— between 250 and 500 g must be not less than 25 cm long.
(iii) Sizing is compulsory for classes 'Extra' and I.
The difference in weight between the heaviest and lightest cucumbers in the same package must not
exceed :
— 100 grams where the lightest piece weighs between 180 and 400 grams,
— 150 grams where the lightest piece weighs 400 grams or more.
(iv) The provisions concerning sizing are not applicable to 'short cucumbers'.
IV. PROVISIONS CONCERNING TOLERANCES
Tolerances in respect of quality and size are allowed in each package for produce not satisfying the
requirements for the class indicated.
A. Quality tolerances :
(i) 'Extra ' Class :
5 % by number of cucumbers not satisfying the requirements for the class but meeting the
requirements for Class I, or exceptionally coming within the tolerances for that class.
(ii) Class I :
10 % by number of cucumbers not satisfying the requirements for the class but meeting the
requirements for Class II, or exceptionally coming within the tolerances for that class.
(iii) Class II :
10 % by number of cucumbers satisfying neither the requirements for the class nor the
minimum requirements, to the exclusion of produce affected by rotting or deterioration such as
to make it unfit for consumption. Within this tolerance a maximum of 2 % by number of
cucumbers may have tips with a bitter taste.

The extract was to make it clear to you that the specification of the quality of cucumbers was taken over by the EU and that only cucumbers of a quality acceptable to the EU could be sold to the general public. That it was not a myth

Very pleased that you have reversed your position.
Not reversed, just made clearer so that people who trust myth buster blogs and do not read EU documentation may be better informed.

The extract was to make it clear to you that the specification of the quality of cucumbers was taken over by the constituent nations of the EU and that only cucumbers of a quality agreed by the constituent nations of the EU could be sold to the general public inside the constituent nations of the EU, so that the same standards would be applied whichever country they were produced, packed and retailed in.

Fixed that for you.

I'm surprised that you want Tesco to sell cucumbers in 28 different specifications of quality. How would that work? Or you mean you want British cucumber growers to pack and label their produce in 28 different ways depending on where they are sold? You must be crazy.

Sponsored Links
Glastonbury.jpg

I'm a bit worried about leaving the EU in case some one tries to sell me some veg that has more than a 10mm deflection.

Fixed that for you.
What have you fixed. Have you modified one of my posts ?

I'm surprised that you want Tesco to sell cucumbers in 28 different specifications of quality.
Where did I say that ?

They could choose to sell two or maybe three grades of cucumber. And that is not a new idea. Greengrocers in the 1960's used to grade fruit in the shop. Allowed them to make a bit more profit on the best apples in the box,

Have you been to Sainsburys ? They sell several products in two different grades, Normal and Basics and some have a third grade "Better for you" ( or something like that )

But you say you object to the 28 nations of the EU having common standards. So if they each have their own, how many might there be?

OK lets have one common standard across the EU. Language. All people in member states will speak the same language. Some products on retail sale in the UK contain Aqua and not water, ( purified water however is not Aqua ) is that the thin end of the wedge ?

A farmer in an area of poor land can only grow produce that does not meet the EU standards for that product. He cannot legally sell that produce. It is perfectly good to eat, and before the EU he was selling his produce to the local population at a fair price. After his country joined the EU he loses his income and the local population have to buy produce from elsewhere that has been transported to them by road or rail, transport costs being added to the selling price. Some countries did get this taken into account and the quality regulations for produce grown and sold internally are lower than for internationally traded produce.

A very foolish argument.

I see you falsify the evidence to pretend the standards are stricter than they are, by omitting "Class III" and "Tolerances" from your C&P.

Have you been able to find the words "banned from sale yet? No, because they aren't there. You are desperate to bolster your argument by deceit. Are you Boris Johnson?

Let me try to understand your position.

The growers, packers and retailers of, let's say, cucumbers, get together because they want to make it easier to trade in cucumbers without having obstacles and multiplicity of standards to make it harder and more costly. They want to know that if they buy them in Amsterdam or Nine Elms or Turin, when they ask for Grade 1 cucumbers, and the price is X, it is the same as buying Grade 1 cucumbers at some other market at the price of Y, so they can calculate easily what suits them best.

Why do you want to prevent them doing that?

Purely and simply, the referendum was only meant as a way of finding out how the voting population felt. It is not legally binding and it is not possible to enforce the result without going through a constitutional process. It is far from guaranteed that the result of the referendum would be put in place even if this process was started.

Purely and simply, the referendum was only meant as a way of finding out how the voting population felt. It is not legally binding and it is not possible to enforce the result without going through a constitutional process. It is far from guaranteed that the result of the referendum would be put in place even if this process was started.
I think it's extremely improbable that any (new) PM will not, at least, go through the motions of, looking like, their invoking Article 50, or revoking EU Communities Act.
To ignore, entirely the result of the referendum, will have two lasting effects:
any future referendum would be pointless for obvious reasons, and
current confidence in politicians, or so we're led to believe but we can't judge it for ourselves, is at an all time low. It would be extremely foolish of politicians (but what's new) to push the limits of that confidence.

Any (new) PM will at least have to look as though they are acceding to the will of the voters.
MPs, on the other hand, although less so now that their vote is easily available on-line, can vote according to their own judgement. Whether this is influenced by their electorate or not, we'll never know.

Like the Scottish referendum, it would take a material change in circumstances to trigger another referendum.

Additionally, once Article 50 is invoked, the Article is unclear about whether that Article could rescinded. So it's just possible that UK could trigger Article 50, then before the two year period is up, it could rescind that Article. But this is uncharted territory.
http://theconversation.com/once-the-uk-triggers-article-50-to-start-brexit-can-it-turn-back-61727

Last edited:

So you've got nothing to worry about then.

Sponsored Links
Back