Aww,diddums, did the nasty spot upset you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That's just plain C.
So, a language that's been replaced by a more usable version, that the legacy version has been updated 17 ish times and where the use of the language has changed dramatically (no code comments, no useful variable names, tut tut tut).

I'm happy to embrace the ever changing nature of the languages I use and their constantly evolving syntax.

So, a language that's been replaced by a more usable version, that the legacy version has been updated 17 ish times and where the use of the language has changed dramatically (no code comments, no useful variable names, tut tut tut).

I'm happy to embrace the ever changing nature of the languages I use and their constantly evolving syntax.

I think the 1st version had comments and user defined variable names, that's not the bit that's wrong, which has never changed from it's inception and never will.

Sponsored Links
Language evolves. No denying that.
However, the English language, (and I should imagine the same goes for other languages), usually takes a few hundred years to change to an appreciable difference between the 'original' and the 'modern'. Someone mention the word doth and does. Yes, they both mean the same and the former is very rarely used today except when someone is either quoting a past works or simply pretending to be clever.
The problem these days is the language is changing so rapidly, because youngsters are not educated to as high a level as past generations have been, that the definition of words is also allowed to be changed without reasonable cause. Take the following example.

1969 That music is bad. Definition of the statement means the music is not of good quality.
2000+ That music is bad. Definition of the statement means the music is considered excellent by the younger generation.

This kind of 'reversal of definition' can only lead to confusion for generations to come who will interpret written words in the way they personally decide to define them. A lot of poor work may seem to be classed as good to certain members of society because they don't interpret the words according to their original definition.
Punctuation can make the same sentence appear to mean different things depending on what punctuation is used. Without punctuation words become meaningless and open to a wide variety of interpretation. Unless the Academia who conduct these surveys stand their ground and show that omitting punctuation, (be it a full stop, comma, hyphen, apostrophe etc), can lead to misunderstanding with possible disastrous results for both sides then there are going to be a lot of angry, misinformed and misunderstood people walking this earth in the future.

And if anyone thinks my full stops are a sign of anger then they are wrong. I'm irritated that these kind of things are being allowed to happen because some people are so easily offended these days but tough sh*t! The language has been this way for much longer than anyone on this earth has been around and it should stay as it is.

The lunatics / snow flakes have taken over the asylum

This full stop caper :LOL:

Then there was a ban on clapping :LOL: at some student gatherings :LOL:

Ok.

How long before the simpletons at the OED decide, because some thick (yes thick) people use it, that there now is a verb "to of" with all its tenses?

We have already progressed from things like "should of", "would of" etc. - which is wrongly excused because it sounds similar if you don't speak properly either - to "should not of" or "wouldn't of" which is just downright stupid.

That is how language evolution happens. It is not a good thing.

I think the 1st version had comments and user defined variable names, that's not the bit that's wrong, which has never changed from it's inception and never will.
I'll be more clear, your code was crap. :D ;)

:rolleyes: it also doesn't do what it might be expected to due to the syntax, though it will compile fine.
I don't miss C and segmentation faults. It has a place for high speed processing but it's too expensive for general use.

I don't miss C and segmentation faults. It has a place for high speed processing but it's too expensive for general use.

Well it's the most widely implemented language on the planet. Not that I'm advocating is use these days. Anyway if you took the logic in the snippet above in C# (changed the print statements) then it would run fine but still produce an unexpected result, as it would in C++ and Java.

Well it's the most widely implemented language on the planet. Not that I'm advocating is use these days. Anyway if you took the logic in the snippet above in C# (changed the print statements) then it would run fine but still produce an unexpected result, as it would in C++ and Java.
And the equality test, in C# you didn't test anything you just assigned a new value to a variable. I'm pretty sure it's get picked up before it runs by your IDE and give you a build error.

And the equality test, in C# you didn't test anything you just assigned a new value to a variable. I'm pretty sure it's get picked up before it runs by your IDE and give you a build error.

There isn't an equality test, that's the whole point.

I see, crap code in all languages.

Depends how you define crap, it does what you told it to. The analogy is that punctuation / grammar / syntax can radically change the meaning of a sentence / statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back