Aww,diddums, did the nasty spot upset you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I had this at work. Well, not me, but a young colleague thought somebody emailing her was being aggressive and rude. I asked why, seeing nothing wrong with the message - "look, they even put a full stop at the end, you only use full stops if you are telling the other person to shut up and not respond!".

Language changes though. This explains why an English teacher friend was moaning about a twitter meltdown earlier.

We have to allow languages to evolve and change, otherwise we stagnate. And the younger generations have always been the driving force of change.

I had this at work. Well, not me, but a young colleague thought somebody emailing her was being aggressive and rude. I asked why, seeing nothing wrong with the message - "look, they even put a full stop at the end, you only use full stops if you are telling the other person to shut up and not respond!".

Language changes though. This explains why an English teacher friend was moaning about a twitter meltdown earlier.

We have to allow languages to evolve and change, otherwise we stagnate. And the younger generations have always been the driving force of change.
How long has a full stop been used in the written word? I'm all for evolution, but this?

Sponsored Links
No we don't. Teach them properly. Being thick is not a good reason for change.

Language evolution only happens because mistakes become the majority - well, probably less than a majority judging by the willingness of others to accept the mistakes.

'tis not about being thick though. Language doth change, it is normal for't to try so. And every time change comes about, there is a broil to forbear it

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 16.29.52.png

42BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back