B&Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How come they are still in business?

Last week I wanted a threshold bar for the front door.
"Sorry sir, we no longer sell them."
Today I wanted some more joist hangers.
"Sorry sir, we don't sell them at this store. If you go to XXXXX they MAY have them."
XXXXX is about 30 miles in the opposite direction to where I live.

Phoned a few builders merchants but the price they wanted was twice as much as Amazon and they didn't have the size I needed..
Hence Amazon gets another order.

Sponsored Links
It has amazed me since the days when I worked for them (1988) that they ever make money.

The website is pants, the search facility woefully inadequate, staff do not know where to find products and stock levels are poo.

Sponsored Links
If you had to replumb a house using B&Q, it would cost more than the value of the house!

I often shop at B&Q for convenience, but I don't need a lot of materials. But the last time I needed to 18mm chipboard flooring they had run out (they had 21mm in the same place, probably hoping nobody would notice). I went to Wickes, which is about 10 miles away, and it was half the price. Literally half the price!

It's always a last resort, even though its slightly closer than Wickes, Screwfix, and Toolstation.
If I can go to an independent, I'll go there first.

I sometime have a wander through looking for bargains, their toilets are always spotless though

Got one of those spinning mops for a £1 once, reduced from £24.95 :eek:

Screwfix - Honeywell 22mm 2 port valve. About £85.00
Unvented components- same product £47.00.
I pick & choose now with Screwfix.
Today I bought 2 Nest 3rd gen thermostats & got free stands. The stands are normally nearly £30 each. Shhh. Don’t tell the client.

The website is pants, the search facility woefully inadequate
Well, only yesterday I wanted 2 x 2.5m lengths of brown flo-plast 65mm downpipe. My little local DIY store didn’t have any. I looked online. 'Gutter supplies' wanted £14.60 and ‘Facia expert' wanted £12 but I don’t even know where they are. Wickes wanted £11.20 but didn’t have any localish to me. The B&Q website told me my two nearest branches didn’t have any stock but the next nearest one did. I drove there and picked them up. £10.98. Cheaper than most places and in stock so I didn’t see a problem with them. For those items at least!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back