Back of house supported on 10cm bearings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating a house at the moment and have decided to open up the kitchen and dining room.

Image 1720 shows me looking into the kitchen from the dining room. I intend to take out the section of wall to the left of the old kitchen door. The open span here will be 1.5m. All fairly straightforward. The exposed wall is the internal skin of a cavity wall.

Image 1718 shows the view from the kitchen looking into the dining room. This extension was built in 1983 and before that there will have been a little outhouse in its place.

You can see the double wood lintel (6" in total) holding up the external skin of the house. I assume this was put in when the house was built in the 1930's. However, the lintel is only resting on 10cm of brick and the pillar on the left is not really tied into the house wall. I have put one brick in just as a temp measure until i decide what to do.

The right side is just as bad, maybe worse. The last brick holding up the beam has been turned to stand vertical instead of horizontal (you can't see this in the photo though).

BC are coming on friday. I now want to put in a steel to replace this wooden lintel and rebuild the left pillar outwards.

Just thought i would post up the photos for interest.

Do you think 3 strongboys will be enough to hold up the bigger section when i come to take out the wooden lintel ?

Ps the first floor is not loading on this rear wall which a bonus, but the kitchen extension roof is, but it is flat and wood.

Attachments

• IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 206
Sponsored Links
Looking at the state of the top course of brickwork (under the joists) I'd think about replacing some of the brickwork over the wooden lintel - I'm not sure I'd want to put strongboys into the courses above the lintel.

I'm no expert but 3 or 4 props with planks above to support those beams, and below to spread the load, are surely the way to go....?

That is just a flat roof. Not an upstairs floor so it isn't a huge load, but yet i may prop the ceiling as well.

The main load is in the actual wall as it is the back of the house.

Why are all those bricks broken up though in the course under the roof joists ? How has that happened ?

Hope to get some good advise off the building inspector friday.

Sponsored Links
In that case I'd prop the joists, take down the brickwork, remove the lintel and rebuild with a new lintel back up to the joists.

Yes, i see. So do you think the roof joists if propped with scaffold boards and props will act as strong boys. Meaning i won't need any strong boys to also go into the brick work ?

No - if you only prop the joists and then remove the lintel I would expect the brickwork to collapse.

In that case I'd prop the joists, take down the brickwork, remove the lintel and rebuild with a new lintel back up to the joists.

It's not very clear but it looks like the roof joists are held up on masonry hangers, if so you can't just prop the joists.
As per your original suggestions you will have to use strong boys. But what is it you are actually trying to achieve are you wanting to open the doorway up or just reinstate it as it is, if the latter then I would probably just leave it alone, if it's held up the back of the house since the 30s then what makes you think it's going to fail now.

I want to make a bigger opening. Half the work is done via this wooden lintel because the external skin is already down. I just need to take down the internal skin (other photo).

BUT when i saw this set up i thought it needs upgrading to a new steel lintel. So i want to swap this wood lintel for a new steel one and create a proper pillar on the left side for it.

This is why i want to ask about propping

Spoke to BC. Lintel is fine if been there for decades. I will be creating bigger piers on both sides so this will aid strength. Still opening the other leaf up to create a bigger opening. All sorted really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back